• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

4th anniversary of the VHD outbreak iminent

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Four years ago on June 14th 2005 one of my rabbits died and I didn't know why, I didn't get a pm done. The following two weeks were the most awful of my life and are two weeks I never want to repeat ever again.
I lost ten rabbits in total to VHD because I didn't vaccinate them. Meg, Holly, Toffee, Patch, Gus, April, Duff, Spot, Poppet and George. George, Gus and April were only 7 weeks old. (April and Duff are in my signature).
I have not started this thread because I want sympathy but because I want to make people who may not know or think that it's not that bad aware that VHD kills, you have no time, no second chances, it is the most awful thing and you just have to stand and watch whilst it takes life after life after life.
I don't know if anyone has ever experienced not being able to do something for there animals, you don't even have time to phone the vet and have them pts you just have to watch them die.
Please, if you have not had your rabbit vaccinated for VHD yet have it done now, this week, even tomorrow, believe me, finding £20 to pay for a vaccine is far better than loosing something you love dearly and especially in the way VHD takes rabbits.

My crocketts off to the vets for his tomorrow i'am so worried is there any side affects to look out for ..

that was just awfil phill. i know i nearly bought a skirt there at lunch but then i thought hang on if i can afford to buy a skirt now i can afford to get petal myxi jab as i was going to wait till i get paid but i rang the vets and she's going at dinner time to get her myxi. she is far more precious to me than a piece of material.

My crocketts off to the vets for his tomorrow i'am so worried is there any side affects to look out for ..

It depends on which vaccine your vets use, Jane has some excellent information on the two different vaccines, Cylap (i think) is the one most commonly used and can cause a limp or lethargy, but these shouldn't cause a major problem and most rabbits recover within a few days.

I remember reading about that tragic time too, whenever I hear of anyone loosing a bunny to VHD I always think of your bunnies :(

How sad. :(:( I'm so sorry.

Mine are both vaccinated, it's just not worth the risk, but hopefully this will sway anybody that is in two minds about whether it's worth doing.

There can be side effects, but non so bad as losing a bunny to this awful man made disease...my Sophie had a reaction in the form of sores to the cylap one, but I am still glad I got her protected.

How sad. :(:( I'm so sorry.

Mine are both vaccinated, it's just not worth the risk, but hopefully this will sway anybody that is in two minds about whether it's worth doing.

This is my hope Karen, thanks everyone for the thoughts it does mean alot, i really hope that anyone who hasn't had there bun vaccinated for VHD gets it done asap xx

Back