• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

does anyone know what this is?

Nicole+Alex

Warren Scout
hi does anyone know what this mucuous stringy stuff is with globules on it?

Is it related to Pin worms which we are treating our rabbits with Panacur?

DSC00531-1.jpg

Not familiar with pin worms but looks like mucous from enteritis to me, think you need to get your bunny to the vet, inflammation of any intestinal lining produces mucous. Is bunny still eating and drinking ok? If someone on here more experienced says it could be pin worms then maybe it is, but if not, I think it indicates a serious inflammation and your bun needs to see a vet asap.

She recently had tests for Diahorrea and it turned she was getting too much veg. She's eating and drinking fine and seems very happy and active.

In that case I would just keep a close eye on her tonight and tomorrow and see what happens. If her droppings return to normal and no more mucous then it has probably cleared up, but if it happens again then i'd pop her down to your vet or just have a word with them over the phone about it to see if they'd like to see her again. If she's just had diarrhoea then that would have been a big scouring out of her guts and maybe she produced some mucous during that episode that is shedding out now on her droppings. The droppings do look soft but if she has had diarrhoea recently then that explains it! Looks like they are starting to form properly now and she is probably just recovering. It can take a couple of days for droppings to get back to completely normal. I'd make sure she has lots of hay, and not too much veg at the moment, if at all. Might be best just to have hay for a few days then reintroduce the veg very slowly over a week or two, just one veg at a time. Make sure you wash it well first. My buns have a huge plate of veg every night between them no probs and rabbits should be able to tolerate lots of veggies once you build them up to it over time. If you add the veggies one at a time you'll get an idea of what upsets your buns tum and you can leave out in future. Just out of interest, my buns have had scours from fresh grass growth and from fresh herbs from a particular supermarket when I didn't wash them first - never again! Some supermarkets wash veg/herbs in strong chlorine, i'm convinced this is what gave our male scours, was the only change as normally we use a different supermarket where we have no probs, but I always wash veggies first anyway, unless they're direct from our own garden! :)

I had a bunny that had a chronic mucus problem. All tests came back clear, he was even refered to Francis Hardcourt Brown, who's only suggestion was avery high fibre diet.

If it continues it may be worth increasing his hay by cutting down on other foods expecially pelllets and giving him some fibreplex to see if that helps :)

yup...excess stomach mucus. Could appear after a bout of diarriah but also could be a worrying sign if she starts to seem at all off colour. If she is otherwise ok and shows no sign of mucoid enteritis then a couple of suggestions.

(1) Use a probiotic in her water (can be got from pets at home)
(2) Try giving a fresh chunk of pineapple (only if no stomach problem is suspected) every other day or crush up some bromolain/papin tablets that can be got from hollend and barret. This helps to break down stomach mucus so that food is digested more quickly and poop is more hydrated.
(3) pop her on a hay only diet for 3 days and gradually reintroduce pellets and veg. Try and give her the highest fibre pellet you can (science selective, excel lite, allen and page or oxbow t) and higher fibre veg like parsley, sugar snap peas.mange tout, spinach (only occassionally) curly kale and brocoli...bearing in mind that kale, parsley and spinach are high in calcium and too mcu can cause sludgy wee. You can also give non cultivated greens like strawberry, blackberry and raspberry leaves if you have any and some weeds go down a treat too.

If she starts to get quiet, looks in pain, is lethargic, hunched up, cold pressing her tummy against the floor or any other unusual behaviour then you do need to get her to the vet asap.

Last edited:
Back