• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/d On Poppet.

Tuckerbunnies

Wise Old Thumper
Poppet has fluid in her abdomen and we have to give her a couple of drops of 'Metacam'. They can drain the fluid off but as she is they can't risk it.
We have to get her eating more as she weighs 2.4 and in February she was 2.8
I have never had a rabbit with fluid in the abdomen and would be interested to hear from anyone who has Please.

Maysie
x

Vibes for poppet hun, and when you say a couple of drops she should be on 4 drops per kilo so about 9-10 drops hun.

No probs, hows poppet today?

Poppet is not very good, she is very very quiet apart from her rumbling tummy my Husband who syringe feeds her said he does give her 4 drops of Metacam. We have bought a load of herbs today and she seems to be nibbling on them but she has lost so much weight and I am so worried we will lose her and I have lost 2 this year already and 3 last year. When they are ill...I am ill to :(

Thank You for asking about her 'Fluffybunny' .

So sorry to hear shes still poorly hun. When you say 4 drops do you mean a total of 4 drops per day? or 4 drops per kilo hun? The dose for metacam dog (which is the one buns have) is 4 drops per kilo of rabbit, so if your buns 2.4kg, then she needs 9-10 drops, 4 drops on its own will have no effect. Buns can tolerate a slightly higher dose but i wouldn't recommend that without consulting your vet. My sootys been poorly lately and he weighs 1.5kg and the vet has put him on 8-9 drops which is the higher dose, his usual dose would be 6 drops but he hasn't been eating and the higher dose is helping :)
Hope this makes sense.

Pen x

So sorry to hear shes still poorly hun. When you say 4 drops do you mean a total of 4 drops per day? or 4 drops per kilo hun? The dose for metacam dog (which is the one buns have) is 4 drops per kilo of rabbit, so if your buns 2.4kg, then she needs 9-10 drops, 4 drops on its own will have no effect. Buns can tolerate a slightly higher dose but i wouldn't recommend that without consulting your vet. My sootys been poorly lately and he weighs 1.5kg and the vet has put him on 8-9 drops which is the higher dose, his usual dose would be 6 drops but he hasn't been eating and the higher dose is helping :)
Hope this makes sense.

Pen x

Our vet recommended 4 drops per day. (it's 4 drops per kilo for a dog in the instructions) we have always been told that too much Metacam can cause kidney problems in rabbits, but I will ask the vet if Poppet can go on a higher dosage.
Thanks Maysie :)

Hi again hun,

Rabbits can actually tolerate a slightly higher dose per kilo of animal due to the way that there stomach is. Rabbits struggle to absorb medication into the bloodstream more so than a cat or dog. The average dose is 4 drops per kilo on a dog or rabbit but a rabbit can tolerate a slightly higher dose of 6 drops per kilo if in a lot of pain, 4 drops per day really isn't enough and will have no effect.
Is there any vets on here who can advise if this is right as ive had 2 rabbit savvy vets tell me this in the past?
Also hows poppet today hun?

Pen x

Hi again hun,

Rabbits can actually tolerate a slightly higher dose per kilo of animal due to the way that there stomach is. Rabbits struggle to absorb medication into the bloodstream more so than a cat or dog. The average dose is 4 drops per kilo on a dog or rabbit but a rabbit can tolerate a slightly higher dose of 6 drops per kilo if in a lot of pain, 4 drops per day really isn't enough and will have no effect.
Is there any vets on here who can advise if this is right as ive had 2 rabbit savvy vets tell me this in the past?
Also hows poppet today hun?

Pen x

Hi Pen,

We have made an appointment for Poppet to see our vet again at 5.50 today as we are not happy with being told just to give her Metacam we think she should have also had something to move her gut. The vet was new and not our usual vets we see. I shall also mention the Metacam dosage as I have had rabbits for 26 years and we have 14 rescue rabbits and we have never given really more than 6 drops.
Poppet was 3 in February and came to us due to her owners splitting up she was one of three rabbits that they had, two of them we took to Bunny Burrows in Richmond, North Yorkshire (who we do a lot of work for when we can) for rehoming and they ended up living with a lovely family in Harrogate, but we had Poppet spayed and they noticed she had fatty tissue round her organs and so we decided to keep her with us, and I am wondering if this is something to do with the problem she has now.

I shall let you know how she goes on
and Thanks'
Maysie x :)

i now give metacam via a syringe as i found that much easier. I have a bunny that is 2.3kg and she gets 0.15ml normally but was told to give a double dose 0.03ml if she is in alot of pain.
hope that helps!

Metacam

Hello,

I was originally told to give Bunny only 2 drops. I have since purchased a book for Vets and the dose is 0.2-0.6 mg/kg. Same as you would give a dog. The Metacam is provided at 1.5 mg/ml

There for a Bun of 2.4 kg would need 0.2 x 2.4 = 0.48 mg
therefore needs 0.32 mls Up to a max of 0.6 x 2.4 = 1.44 mg
= 0.96 mls.

Hope this helps its from the vet book and I would trust that as the vets often do not give enough pain relief.

Thanks everyone for advice, we were told tonight by our vet that we are giving her the correct dosage for Poppets size she is 2.4kg. I was just worried we were not giving her enough.

Many Thanks Maysie x :)

i now give metacam via a syringe as i found that much easier. I have a bunny that is 2.3kg and she gets 0.15ml normally but was told to give a double dose 0.03ml if she is in alot of pain.
hope that helps!

We give it by syringe because it works quicker. I was just wondering just how much you can give.
Took Poppet back to the vets tonight and she has given her a Metoclopramide injection and she seems a lot brighter and has eaten some of her tea. The lump in her tummy hasn't got any bigger I'm glad to say.

Anyway Thanks Lisa
Maysie x :)

Back