• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Methods of Euthanasia

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
What method do they use in rabbits? I have heard they inject into the heart of gas them. Is there any kinder way to do it? :(

They can inject the anaesethic into the vein in the ear which just lets them go to sleep. If you want to be with the rabbit when it is being PTS and the veins have collapsed then injecting into the heart is another way (personally I have only ever gone through this once and we had they had to inject first into the stomach and then the heart, I will never have one of mine pts that way ever again.It was horrible :cry:) Some vets do gas them but I have never had one pts under gas.

my Barley was injected into his ear,it was very peaceful he just steadily went to sleep in my arms while the vet did the injection

Having just seen the full contrast between a well planned PTS and the shambles I witnessed 18 months ago I can only urge people, yet again, to discuss this fully with their vets BEFORE the time comes.

Mack was given an injection of a GA combo, Domitor and Ketamine and then popped into his carrier with Lexie for around 5 minutes whilst he lost consciousness. He stretched out and relaxed as the drugs took effect and literally just drifted to sleep. The pentobarbituate injection (this is the one that stops the heart) was then given abdominally and I swear he was gone in less than 40 seconds, such a contrast to the 4-5 distressing minutes it took Caspian when conscious.

I am satisfied, apart from the little sting of the GA injection which didn't even cause him to flinch, Mack never felt a single thing.

Ours are normally pts sleep via an injection into an ear catheter. However on occassions we have had vets out to the house to pts then they are given a sedative and we sit with them until they have gone to sleep and then they are given a final injection into the abdomen which they know nothing about.

We have opted for this method a couple of times at the vets surgery too but it isn't always an option as the sedative doesn't always work well with a stressed bunny in a strange place.

have a chat to your vet hun if you think you need to go down the route :cry: I have only had two buns put to sleep, one was already under GA and the other was unconsious with his heart giving out on the table. The second time the vet did go straight for the abdomen as there wasn't time for anything else and as he was already unconsious it seemed the best route to take. He didn't suffer at all in this case however if there was more time I would have gone down the sedation route which should be offered by your vet.

when matilda was pts she was given an injection into a vein in her ear. it was very calm and just drifted off after a few seconds

I'm only asking, as im not sure if Jazz is going to get much better so its something I want to prepare myself for if the time comes to discuss it with my vet :cry:

I'm only asking, as im not sure if Jazz is going to get much better so its something I want to prepare myself for if the time comes to discuss it with my vet :cry:

Hang in there, hun. :( You should worry about these things if/when the time comes. Here's hoping Jazz has many more years ahead of him. :)

with lilli-mai she was injected in the ear... she actually shook her head when it went in and the vet took it out her ear and waited for her to go floppy from the little bit she did have and then proceeded in giving her the rest :cry: she passed away within a few seconds but i know it can take longer then that when it does take longer i find it more distressing and painful for you to watch

my advice is be 100% certain its for the right because once the needles in its to late to turn back :cry:

The emergency vet I saw the other week didnt think the future was all that bright and I've found more abcess's under his chin and he has a wet chin.. he wouldnt survive the GA to sort it though :cry: I am going to give him the best chance and wont give up yet.

Back