• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Expensive bunny supplies

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Had this morning off work to go to the dentist, so stopped off to buy supplies on the way home.

4 bags of megazorb, a bale of hay, sack of readigrass and sack of A&P natural pellets cost over £49 :shock:

Megazorb is now £6.75 a bag, so anybody got any suggestions of a cheaper alternative? Or a cheaper stockist in the south Notts/north Leics area?

I like Ecopetbed, it's not quite as odour-controlling at Megazorb but you could bulk up the Megazorb with it. Was about £6 a bale last time I checked but way bigger than a bag of Megazorb.
Aubiose is quite good too, it's a hemp bedding that's kind of like woodshavings, but no nasty phenols and minimal, if any, dust. Again, about £6 for a large bale. Both horsey beddings so local horse supplier places may stock it

i just use newspaper and hay in my litter trays!!

dosnt cost much and if you clean it everyday its much easier..

I use the hay and newspaper method too... much cheaper and less waste to dispose off. You have to clean them daily to avoid the smell though!

I use newspaper and hay for all 10 of my rabbits.
I get other people to save their newspapers for me and I buy two bales of farm hay a month.
Total cost for the month for 10 buns is £9.50.

Had this morning off work to go to the dentist, so stopped off to buy supplies on the way home.

4 bags of megazorb, a bale of hay, sack of readigrass and sack of A&P natural pellets cost over £49 :shock:

Megazorb is now £6.75 a bag, so anybody got any suggestions of a cheaper alternative? Or a cheaper stockist in the south Notts/north Leics area?

I don't no if i live near coalville ,liecs but i get megazorb for £5.50 a bag from SLB Supplies, Coalville, 01530 230377.

I no what you mean amy i brought 2 hemcore 1 bale of hay and 1 sack A+P £27 something it cost me. Have you tried the farm on spring lane i've never been there before so don't no what there like

I don't no if i live near coalville ,liecs but i get megazorb for £5.50 a bag from SLB Supplies, Coalville, 01530 230377.

I'm not too far from Coalville, so could probably do the trip every few months and fill the car with as many bags as possible.

Thanks for the tip :)

I no what you mean amy i brought 2 hemcore 1 bale of hay and 1 sack A+P £27 something it cost me. Have you tried the farm on spring lane i've never been there before so don't no what there like

I have but I can't remember what they stock there :oops: TBH I didn't like the hay, and there always seemed to be loads of cows, dogs, cats, etc in the barn with the bales.

Found this place don't no what they sell though

Bramcote Farm Shop 01159393071
199 Derby Road, Bramcote,
Nottingham, NG9 3JA

i buy a huge bag of cat litter form pets at home for £8, does me well over a month. it's just wooden pellets and theres no smell from it. excellent stuff.

I normally used to use wood pellets and still do occasionally. However, I have recently started to use shredded paper. It needs changing more frequently than the wood pellets, but it does the trick and costs NOTHING.

I have 8 bunnies, 6 use a litter box, so need quite a supply. I asked on Freecycle if anyone had any crossshredded paper available and got some replies. I now have one lady putting out her office shreddings for me every week and friends giving me some too! It's a great way to save money.

Vera

i buy a huge bag of cat litter form pets at home for £8, does me well over a month. it's just wooden pellets and theres no smell from it. excellent stuff.

I used to get the same wood pellets, but found that I can get the same amount as horse bedding at only £5.50 in a farm/horse feed shop! Might be worth trying if you live near one.

Vera

PS. I now mostly use shredded paper which works great too, I only use wood pellets now if I am short of paper.

I get my megazorb, a&p and hay from here but I think it might be about the same price. I can't remember.

F Martin Ltd, Dorket Head Farm, Calverton Road,
Arnold, Nottingham, NG5 8PU,
Tel: 0115 9268703

I only use paper and hay too. I used to use shavings but after reading some posts on here, dont do that anymore!

I clean the 'toilet' area every day and haven't had any problems.

I get my megazorb, a&p and hay from here but I think it might be about the same price. I can't remember.

F Martin Ltd, Dorket Head Farm, Calverton Road,
Arnold, Nottingham, NG5 8PU,
Tel: 0115 9268703

That the 1 me and amy use suzanne

Back