• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which do you prefer - Unusual bunnies or average bunnies?

Which do you prefer - Unusual bunnies or average bunnies?

• I like unusual bunnies

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • I like normal boring bunnies

Votes: 24 51.1%

• Total voters

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I've noticed that the 'unusual' bunnies tend to be rehomed quicker on here. i.e. giants and English lops or unusual colours like blues or lilacs

Personally I prefer bunnies of an average size, shape, coat texture and ear length...and I'm not bothered about colour (although my O/H thinks buns should only be either plain black or plain white...not sure why :shock: )

So...which do you prefer?? :D

No preference really, we don't normally see our bunnies before they arrive :)

I generally tend not to take in bigger buns as we do not have the facilities for them.

I think it is really sad that there was so much "excitement" about the English lop just because they have big ears, especially as it is their ears that make their lives so miserable :?

Looks-wise I don't have a type. I used to prefer loppy ears, but since having my Beau I've seen how expressive uppy eared buns are, so now I like both. I'm not a fan of plain black or plain white or rexs, but other than that, lookswise I am open. Every time I think I know what I like, a bun changes my mind - I didn't used to like pure nethies, but poppymoon's eric and HS's squishy have totally changed that!!

It's definitely much more about personality. I'm looking for a doe for Beau, I wouldn't go for a feisty girl cos he's a bit of a div and would end up getting bullied, bless him :love: but I want one that's very curious and cheeky like him - as soon as he hears a door open, he's through it, off on a bit of an explore, and I love the way he walks and pushes his ears forward when he explores. That's more important to me than the way they look.

Hard to answer because I have some unusuals ie rexes,an english lop,french lop etc but equally I have some average bunnies .

I suppose the answer is I like them all!

I only like, and have owned unusual bunnies. A frenchie, a conti and a giant pap.
I know... it is really shallow :oops:

I love plain black bunnies, uppy ears, i don't see the fuss of "breeds" as such
Moon and scrags are dutch X lionhead, i fell in love with the little noses. Shadow- i had no idea wha she looked like until i saw the last 3 in litter, Storm is a chinchilla, don;t think she is pure, Twilight is a chin x wildie.

I don't oogle over a bun because it is a breed, i think it is sad that there are breeds such as English Lops, as they are in all respect, a walking defect =/

I will admit to loving Rexes :love: but not sure if they are unusual or not :?

My first rabbit Bugsy is a dwarf butterfly lop, she looks like a 'typical' petshop bun. When I went to the rescue to pick a friend I didn't want an uppy ear bunny I said I prefered lops. Then I fell in love with my lovely Joey (Rex), when he passed I wanted another Rex.

I have said unusual in that all buns are unusual in their own way. People have said that Bella is pretty and of course Albert is a Rex so everyone loves him but I adore Chloe too for her stroppy personality and the way she has fought through being ill and Dutchie is one of the best things to ever happen to me he has had such an influence on the girls and we are a much closer 'family' since he arrived :love:

Apart from Belgian hares ;)

I'm not too fussed about breeds or colours either although I do have a particular penchant for nethies :love: As Jane said though, I wouldn't overlook a bun just because they weren't a nethie.

Was waiting for someone to point that out! :lol:

Though i have searched for years, just for one in rescue, and is my one bunny guilty pleasure :)

I have a bit of a thing for the markings of English Spot bunnies and Himalayan bunnies, but I wouldn't choose a rabbit just for the way it looks and ultimately I go for personality over colour, breed and size.

I turned down a pair with beautiful markings - a perfect English Spot boy and a gorgeously coloured female Rex with lovely dappled markings to instead take home 2 black bunnies because their personalities clicked, their story was sadder and they just seemed to gel better with us :)

If any of the saddest cases happento be an English Spot or Himalayan, well, that would be a happy coincidence! ;) I don't expect to ever own a Himalayan though since not many appear in rescues at the time when I'm looking (and I'm only ever looking after a heartbreak).

Last edited:
I liker my giant rabbits for myself but would never turn a needy bun away as they are all lovely and cute in their own way:D:D

I have a particular liking for REWS and black bunnies but I'd go for any bunny. I was never too keen on rexes but after seeing some lovely ones on here I now love them.

Last edited:
I love nethies alot 'cause their pretty little faces and little ears, but i also love lops and up ear/down ear bunnies. I think new zealand white bunnies are stunners :love: And i love german lops 'cause there almost square appearance. I just love all bunnies, all colours, all ear styles, long fur/short fur, big/small.. I love all of them :love::love: to anyone else i'd sound crazy

ETA: Whats classed as a 'average' bunny anyway? Bunnies that are more common like lionheads etc?

Last edited:
I think it is really sad that there was so much "excitement" about the English lop just because they have big ears, especially as it is their ears that make their lives so miserable :?

Yup, I do feel a bit funny when people jump to offer homes to a particular breed bunny (or other animal) when the only thing they know about the animal is what breed it is, nothing about colour/personality/temperament. Especially if the animal is the other side of the country, and it makes me wonder that if the person was so keen on getting a new bunny what's wrong with taking a different rabbit from a local rescue? Especially as in a lot of cases the person offering wasn't really actively seeking a new pet, but the bunny/rat/whatever animal it was happened to be their favourite breed.
Don't think I have a particular bunny type, I do love black nethies because of Mary but I think next time I get new bunnies I'd just ask a local rescue for their hardest to home pair or something, because it really doesn't bother me what breed/colour or even temperament they were really.

Yup, I do feel a bit funny when people jump to offer homes to a particular breed bunny (or other animal) when the only thing they know about the animal is what breed it is, nothing about colour/personality/temperament. Especially if the animal is the other side of the country, and it makes me wonder that if the person was so keen on getting a new bunny what's wrong with taking a different rabbit from a local rescue? Especially as in a lot of cases the person offering wasn't really actively seeking a new pet, but the bunny/rat/whatever animal it was happened to be their favourite breed.

I agree, I'm not really sucked in by breeds. When I got my buns all I knew was I wanted to give a pair of buns a nice home as I had the space and decent set-up. There was 1 pair available and that's the pair I got as I wasn't expecting them to be like anything apart from being bunnies. :D. If they were cuddly buns that was fine but if they wanted their own space I would respect that.

I am the first to admit that I was excited about the English Lop Jill (Honeybunny) was getting in (that turned out not to be)I would have also offered it a forever home, may have been for selfish reasons because i have always wanted one but at least I am prepared to waited until one was going to turn up in a rescue and not go and get one from a breeder. I waited 10yrs for my first Giant rabbit as I wouldn't go to a breeder for one, I wanted one that needed a second chance.

I have had rabbits withing my rescue that have been with me that long that I haven't rehomed as they are so settled here and we have become attached to them and them to us that I wouldn't dream of rehoming them as the are happy living here. (these aren't giant rabbits either)

Back