• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Even when they are fixed, rabbits multiply! :D

usagibunny

Young Bun
Since I volunteer at a rabbit rescue, a question I am often asked it "how many rabbits do you have?" The answer to that question is "Five, I have five rabbits."

After saying such a number, I then feel that I have to explain myself, and since it's kind of a funny story, I figured I'd post it here. Also, this may serve as a bit of a warning to the bonding uninitiated. I'm sure anybody that has ever tried to bond (and failed) can relate!

It all started with Usagi. Usagi was a single bunny for a very long time, but then at the age of seven I decided that she needed a buddy, so I got Blu for her. It took me nine months (mostly because I chickened out during the bonding process) but they did eventually become friends. I guess they were sick of being separated, because I found Blu in her side of the pen one night! They have been friends ever since.

Well, after a couple of months of Usagi and Blu living in bonded bliss, I got to thinking about how much older Usagi is than Blu (about six years older) and I realized that she won't be around forever, so after she's gone Blu will need another friend. That's when I decided that I needed to make this pair into a trio.

Enter Sylvester, whose name has since been changed to Momiji, Momo for short. Momo had a bunny friend that he was separated from at the shelter. He seemed like the perfect match for my buns. Everything seemed to be going okay in the bonding at first, but then Momo became the over-dominant boy he is today. I decided that maybe if I got a fourth bunny Momo would chill out, I was wrong. The good news is that the fourth bunny (Star) ended up jumping in with Usagi and Blu, and they all became instant friends. The bad news is that Momo jumped in with Star one night when she was still alone and ripped her ear! Needless to say, Momo and Star do not like each other at all! Too bad, I still believe that with time Momo would have bonded to Usagi and Blu, but there is no way that him and Star will ever get along.

Well, silly me, I started feeling sorry for Momo. After all, all four were supposed to be together, and with three bonded and Momo being the odd man out I started to anthropomorphize a bit much perhaps, and decided that maybe he was lonely and needed a friend of his own.

I tried a bunny date with my favorite bun at the rescue, but they did not take to each other at all :( . My second choice, a big black agouti girl by the name of Magpie seemed to hit it off with Momo though. I thought that I finally had a match for my little guy! I was wrong.

After all of the trouble I had been through, I decided that the best thing to do would be to return Magpie to the rescue. Well, as is always the case, we are overrun with buns there, so Magpie wouldn't be able to go back for at least a couple of months. I tried my hardest not to get attached, but I failed. So now Magpie is officially my bunny as well.

Thankfully, I have figured out living arrangements for all of my bunnies. Magpie lives in an x-pen next to Usagi, Blu, and Star, and Momo lives in the bedroom because he tends to try to fight with everyone. That little guy has issues, he even tries to attack me a lot of times, but I love him anyway!

Anyway, thanks for reading my story, hope you got a laugh or two. I have no problem handling all of these bunnies, and besides the fact that my house seems to have shrunk I couldn't be happier!

The lesson I've learned from all of this? Some bunnies just want to be alone!

Also, as an aside, I have a chinchilla that needs a friend too, but after this I'm just a little nervous!

:lol::lol: wasn't what I was expecting from the title. I can see how easy it is to end up with five. Well done for sorting out the living arrangements. Have you got any piccies of the buns as we'd all love to see them.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

a person after my own heart....

I got yoshi first got him neutered and then decided to get him a female companion.... so we got daisy. but daisy and yoshi started fighting BADLY and had to be seperated but also daisy had lots of stomach trouble and after some huge vet bills and 5mths worth of visits we discovered that little daisy was in fact a HE!!! so HE is now called gizmo. and although they HATE each other they do lay outside each others hutches and sniff through bars and occasionally give each other a nip :shock: But i have now been thinking of getting them each a companion..... but what if the same happens to me :oops:.... maybe my bunnies are better off alone :lol::lol:

MAGPIE.jpg

Above is a hotlinked image of Magpie from the Bunny Bunch site. I haven't charged my camera in forever, so I have no pics of her at home yet. Plus, during the whole trying not to get attached period, I deliberately took no pics of her!

l_dd2b1abd43534da18a940502490dd7df.jpg

Those are my other 4 brats, back when I thought I'd get them all bonded :lol:

From left to right they are: Blu, Star, Usagi, and Momo.

I've officially been cut off by the lady who runs the rescue, but with good reason... she knows I'd take every bunny in that place if I were given the chance! No more bunnies for me for a long while, unless I get a bigger house, then I may try to beg her to let me adopt Spots...

For anybody who is interested, here are their living arrangements, taken just now from my phone...

IMG00027-1.jpg

The Momo monster, sitting on his little chair. That huge crate takes up so much space in my bedroom, but it's worth it to keep the peace.

IMG00023.jpg

Magpie's living area is on the left, and to the right is where Star, Blu, and Usagi reside. It's a little complicated letting them out for run time, as Magpie and Star try to fight between the pens, but draping a blanket over the pen of the bunny that's being kept in and stretching another x-pen around that bunny's area seems to be doing the trick.

They're just a little spoiled :p

Also, notice the fact that Momo is in a dog crate and the other ones have a sheet clipped over their pens. I am trying to prevent any more escaping incidents, and so far it has worked out!

Last edited:
That's the best way for them to be :D

Indeed!

I wish i had a better set up for Saffy's living arrangements but my flat is so small :cry: Luckily she has the run of the kitchen, bathroom and hallway most of the time.... I love the little chair!

Back