• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how to make him eat more hay?

elaine84

Warren Scout
I've recently been reading about rabbits diets and didn't realise as much as 80% is meant to be hay! I don't think Rafferty is eating anywhere near enough. I never really see him eating it. What can I do to make him eat more? Should I cut down / remove the pellets for a day so he eats more hay or something or is this dangerous?
He always has fresh hay. His hutch is in 2 sections, his bedroom is where all the hay is, including a litter tray with hay in. I know he won't want to eat it if it's dirty so should I put loads of hay throughout the hutch or an extra food bowl with some in?
Also I'm thinking I prob don't see him eat it much cos his bedroom is hidden when the door is closed but it never seems to go down much.
:?:

How much pellets are you giving him? I'd put a separate bowl or basket of hay with perhaps some dried herbs mixed so he forages.

I give him a small handful in the morning and some more before bed. He'd been having the mixed food until I found out they should have the combined pellet so I've been mixing the 2 and making sure he eats it all.

My pair would never eat hay, until I tried them on Timothy. They love that - especially with herbs.

I give him a small handful in the morning and some more before bed. He'd been having the mixed food until I found out they should have the combined pellet so I've been mixing the 2 and making sure he eats it all.

Can you gradually reduce the pellets to a small handful a day do it over a couple of weeks and perhaps split it into morning and evening. That's probably why he is not eating hay as he's not hungry.

thanks for your replies... I'll reduce the amount of pellets he has and will buy some Timothy hay with herbs! Are there any particular shops that sell this type? Just been looking online but delivery is so expensive!

gizmo doesn't eat hay either. He has a sensitive stomach and we only just got him eatting A & P pellets which he scoffs down now with no problems with runs etc... so how do i get him to eat more hay?? don't want to take his pellets away as the high fibre keeps his tummy settled :?

Burgess do a timothy hay with herbs called Herbage. Pets at Home sell it and some other pet shops.

gizmo can't have alfa alfa though makes him over produce his softy poos :roll: does the herbage one have alfa alfa if not will give it a try and the moment we buy a bale of hale from our local equestrian shop but he seems bored of that now :roll::roll:

gizmo can't have alfa alfa though makes him over produce his softy poos :roll: does the herbage one have alfa alfa if not will give it a try and the moment we buy a bale of hale from our local equestrian shop but he seems bored of that now :roll::roll:

It doesn't look like it has. I haven't tried the new version though so not sure how popular it is with the bunnies.

http://www.burgesspetcare.co.uk/products/rabbit/burgess-excel---dandelion-and-marigold.html

I usually buy mine online either West Wales Willows, Oxbow or Alfafa King Timothy.

I've found my two are eating less hay recently too :roll: After trying the taster pack from the Hay Experts, they seemed to like the Meadow hay the most, so I've been giving them Pure Pastures Meadow hay since, but over the last week or so they're hardly eating any of it! I got them some of the new Burgess Dandelion and Marigold last night, but they ate a bit then turned their noses up at it :roll: I've tried everything - Mixing grated carrot in the hay, herbs, parsley, grass, but nothing seems to get them to eat more.

They only have an egg cup full each of Burgess pellets (Junior and Dwarf) every day (And they're starving at dinner time - Or so they would have me believe!), so it's not that they're getting too many pellets. They free range in the garden for about 4 hours every evening at the moment (And the house when they manage to sneak through the patio doors! :roll::lol:), so they are getting grass, but when the weather gets bad again they won't have so much time on the grass, so if anyone has any other ideas I could try it would be great! :wave:

I've found my two are eating less hay recently too :roll: After trying the taster pack from the Hay Experts, they seemed to like the Meadow hay the most, so I've been giving them Pure Pastures Meadow hay since, but over the last week or so they're hardly eating any of it! I got them some of the new Burgess Dandelion and Marigold last night, but they ate a bit then turned their noses up at it :roll: I've tried everything - Mixing grated carrot in the hay, herbs, parsley, grass, but nothing seems to get them to eat more.

They only have an egg cup full each of Burgess pellets (Junior and Dwarf) every day (And they're starving at dinner time - Or so they would have me believe!), so it's not that they're getting too many pellets. They free range in the garden for about 4 hours every evening at the moment (And the house when they manage to sneak through the patio doors! :roll::lol:), so they are getting grass, but when the weather gets bad again they won't have so much time on the grass, so if anyone has any other ideas I could try it would be great! :wave:

Its probably because they are eating so much grass. That's just as good if not better so I wouldn't worry too much. Sounds like you are doing great. Mixing dried or fresh herbs in with the hay helps as I do that for my two and they love it.

Its probably because they are eating so much grass. That's just as good if not better so I wouldn't worry too much. Sounds like you are doing great. Mixing dried or fresh herbs in with the hay helps as I do that for my two and they love it.

Hi :wave:

I had a feeling that it might not be too much of a problem with all the grass they're eating at the moment, so thanks for putting my mind at rest :)(Paranoid bunny mummy here! :oops:) I'm not overly worried while the weather is nice and they can get on the grass, but when the weather turns in the Autumn/Winter they won't get so much free range time :cry: I suppose if they're hungry they'll eat the hay if they don't get on the grass (Hope so anyway!) :? If not I'll probably be back on here for more suggestions and advice! :lol::lol:

Back