• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please Help Whiskey Isnt Drinking u/d still none help

happybunny22000

Warren Veteran
He's eating but isnt drinking? His wee is dark

what do I do? How do I gte him to drink
Its hot
The hutch is cool
hes had a run around eaten pooped
but not drank

Last edited:
If his wee is dark he could be dehydrated- take him to the vets for s/c fluids or possibly a drip

Not sure about why he isn't drinking, but here are a couple things you can try to get fluids in him:

Offer water in a bowl in a bottle (if not done already)
Sweeten the water with a little bit of fruit juices (maybe apple)
Offer fresh green veggies that are wet

Try to measure how much water he's drinking a day buy filling the water bowl up with a specific amount, then measuring at the end of the day when you change it. Rabbits should drink 50-100ml of water for each kilogram the bunny weighs per day.

Edit: I also agree with the above. If the urine is really dark, the rabbit could needs subcutaneous fluids or a drip. Definitely seek a vet if the urine is really abnormal or been going on for more than a day.

Daisy stopped drinking after her spay and two days later needed sub cut fluids. To get her drinking again I gave her apple juice in her water, which she seemed to enjoy.

I also bought some Avipro Plus and added that to her water on recommendation of a couple of people here, and again she seemed to like it and drank a bit more.

I agree with the above posts - vet visit would be good unless Whiskey starts drinking again very soon.

Hes still not drunk
not drunk since this morning
hasten peed or pooped since 8.
not eaten nethin since then tried veg even apple
nothing?:(
Help

Sorry but you really do need to call the vet for advice. If he hasn't eaten most of the day there is something wrong with him.

Personally, I would take him to the emergency vets tonight (there is one is Salford, sorry I can't remember where you are in the NW), sounds like stasis. Just wondering, did Brandy show similar symptoms?

gizmo did this the other night about 7pm so phoned the emergency vet as he wasnt peeing much and when he did it was VERY dark. And he went all floppy and wouldn't eat.

So the vet said at first try and siringe 5mls of water into him every half hour and give him a dose of metacam and keep offering him food [veg etc] I did all this and phoned the vet again and told her he was responding as he was now eatting a piece of apple. I stayed up with him till 1am then let him be untill 3am when i went to give him some more water but when i went in he was drinking himself :love:

I would ring the vet though as it could be a number of reasons so best to check.... they don't always say come in just ask if it is something you can treat yourself at home [if you feel able] :wave:

I managed to get him to drink a bit and he ate some apple
this morning he was binkying around garden, eating his pellets and veg, ate some apple, and hay - pooped

he wont drink

i rang the vets and they said to monitor him, as usually its the other way round that he wouldnt eat - they said as long as he is getting fluid from his veg etc there would be nothing they could suggest as he was ewating so it wouldnt be dental.

:( they told me to monitor him today and then to ring tonight
they said if i rang now they would still tell me there is nothing wrong with him -- or if there was they dont know

Go to a different vet- if i called my vet and told them bun was not drinking and had dark urine- they would insist i came down straight away, especially with the time period it has been.

Weird :? Surely if you make an appointment they have to see you, how do they know nothing is wrong without examining him. I would always rather go to the vets when not needed than not go when it is...

Did you speak to the vet or the receptionist?

I think I would consider trying to find a different vet, are you usually happy with them?

Glad he is seeing a vet
If was he my bunny I would have taken him yesterday to make sure all was well..especially so soon after losing a bun...If he shows signs like this again please don't wait..take him straight away..as a few hours to a rabbit can mean the difference between surviving or not
Will keep my fingers crossed for him

From my personal experience, all my bridge buns who didn't drink water were caused by cancer.

Is there any sign of sickness? GI stasis, among other problems?

For the time being, you have to get some juice and force feed the liquid to your bun

From my personal experience, all my bridge buns who didn't drink water were caused by cancer.

Is there any sign of sickness? GI stasis, among other problems?

For the time being, you have to get some juice and force feed the liquid to your bun

Why juice? I would think water would be safer, juice may cause stomach problems if the bun isn't used to it.

Back