• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

the runs

my rabbit is 9 weeks old and has just started to go into a rabbit run a few hours each day.
yesterday she started to have the runs, i do not feed her on any greens but she does eat the grass in the garden when in her run.
can anyone tell me what the most likley cause is and what i can do to cure her?
i am a new member on this site and also a new buny owner. :(
thanks
glyn boulton

Hello Glynn

The runs in a baby Rabbit is actually very serious and you need to get her to a Vet. She has probably eaten too much grass which has upset her tummy.
A baby Rabbit can become dangerously dehydrated if they have the runs and so I would advise you to contact a Vet this evening
Dont feed her anything but hay and make sure she has plenty of water available.

Good luck

I agree, you need to get her to a vet asap, even if that means out of hours tonight. Buns can get very dehydrated following true diarrhoea and in baby buns I understand it is quite serious. You have to be so careful with introducing grass, it's such a tricky one I know, especially when we've had such warm weather and the grass has sprouted quickly, it's full of sugar that can cause massive upset to the digestive system. Normally you have to introduce fresh grass very gradually over a couple of weeks starting with just 5 mins a day, but even then you can get problems with new grass growth, we do! and our buns go out on it all winter too so don't feel bad. Allowing a few lawn cuts first before bun goes out is often a good idea following the hot days of spring/summer when grass growth goes mad and then just build it up very slowly even if that means picking some to feed instead first off. Perhaps when bunny is better you could find some space to run in the house or on a patio until they are fully recovered and a little older and more tolerant to rich grass? The best way as Jack's Jane says to get over it is lots of yummy hay and remove all other food just for a day or two until bunny's tum is better, but obviously bunny needs to be eating hay, if they're not then it's better they have pellets than nothing at all, but try to encourage lots of hay eating for the next few days especially. Hope your bun gets better soon :)

Last edited:
Back