• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I nearly lost him - he SCREAMED

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
I've small probs in comparison to most of you on here.
I'm still all shook up. Out of the blue this afternoon we seemed in the middle of a firing range! Thumps shot under the dressing table & then over the bed, window sill etc. screaming, in blind terror & probably pain from the deafening noise. He could have slipped & broken his back. Thank god the curtains were closed against the heat, & I only ever leave the window open a crack or he would have shot straight through out of a 1st floor window! Roadmen were using a machine to tar over road markings right outside. THEY have hearing defenders! - Got them to stop long enough to catch Thumps [eventually] - very short but far too hot car ride to local park, sat it out together under a tree - thankfully no out of control dogs around.
He's so well balanced, no probs Nov.5th, no probs when they resurfaced the road. He has gut probs,& not eaten for last 5 hours. I just hope we don't go down that road.
Had a very self controlled civilized discussion with the council - they didn't get the point that if it did that to MY pet all the other animals must have been terrified too. Said they've GOT to use a powerful machine!!! THEY didn't before! ps a screaming rabbit thinks it's a gonner - caught by predator usually.

God that's terrable - poor bun! Are you going to take him to the vet at all? Just worried incase the noise has damaged his delicate eardrums.

It's so lucky you were there to rescue him from such a nasty experience!

thumps, thats terrible! i hope he's calmer now - fingers crossed he'll start eating soon. hope you're ok too. must've really shaken you up:(

That is horrendous :shock: poor love, hope he will be ok.
I think you should complain again in writing, explain about your pet again as well as the noise deafening you. See if your neighbours will complain too. At least you could ask that you get notification of noisy works in future.

Bless you all for your support. Big thank you Hoppit for being so level headed, I've given him some metacam & will have him examined tomorrow. They were using compressed air, so burst ear drum or bleed into the drum is possible. It's good that he hasn't been head shaking, & lets me stroke the base of his ears without discomfort. He's such a brave boy, & settles down so fast once the "nasty " has gone.
Hey he's drunk water from his bowl!! & pooped a bit. He'll prefer to eat when it's a bit cooler.
Judy & Thumper.

Hello Judy are you feeling a bit calmer now?This is disgraceful and the council should have warned people before they went ahead with the road resurfacing.I really hope dear little dog rabbit Thumper is Ok and has something to eat shortly.Sending a big hug to you and a big kiss to Thumps

A big thank you everyone - we've both settled down. He's had a good chomp on his hay & run round the garden together earlier this evening, pooped & wee'd. Currently in a flop beside my foot as I try to type, waiting for bedtime.

You'll just never believe this. 11.00 am. Same man came to put a "restricted waiting " sign right at the front. Out in a flash when I saw the lorry draw up. Just a pneumatic chisel this time! he's O.K. with those - not so loud. I can sense them almost laugh when I talk about distressing my rabbit! Bet they'd be :censored: themselves if it was one of the race horses up the road.
He's been pretty gassy on & off - on more than off - we can't seem to shift it. It's so hot!!! & he can't stretch out flat on a cool floor.

update

Just back from the vets. He's a perforated ear drum on the left (must have been agony) only just holding his own against stasis. Hope it's not another admission! I've no words for this!

I'm so sorry Judy,poor little Thumps.If Its any consolation when Bugsy had a perforate ear drum It only took a week to heal.I really hope Thumper can get over this without going into full blown stasis.Sending massive healing vibes his way and a big hug to you xxxxxxx

Oh thumps, I'm so sorry! :( Poor old Thumper. Our Collie had a perferated ear drum a couple of years ago, but it healed just fine, so I'm sure your bunny-boo's will too.

I seriously think you should look into sueing the council - you may get damages.

OMG poor Thumps :(

It's hard to imagine how loud that machine must've been, but as it's preforated his ear drum it must have been incredibly loud :shock:

Loads of vibes for Thumps, I really hope he'll be ok.

You are all such a wonderful support, thank you. He's very up & down with this one. I think it's mainly gas/colic. Well Jane, thanks to Hoppit's fast thinking about ear drum perf. he was on Metacam by the evening! Infacol this am & now Zantac from Marie. With 30 cc. very dilute critical care, over the day although drinking eating in bursts, pooping getting better, urine was a bit turbid, but not too bad. It's now my weirdo idea of behaving like a rabbit & stroking his face & ears like companions allogroom when 1 is ill. It must be important to them, Sarah describes it with hers, & I've noticed some one on here describe it. I'm crackers!!! but anything to improve chances yes?

You are all such a wonderful support, thank you. He's very up & down with this one. I think it's mainly gas/colic. Well Jane, thanks to Hoppit's fast thinking about ear drum perf. he was on Metacam by the evening! Infacol this am & now Zantac from Marie. With 30 cc. very dilute critical care, over the day although drinking eating in bursts, pooping getting better, urine was a bit turbid, but not too bad. It's now my weirdo idea of behaving like a rabbit & stroking his face & ears like companions allogroom when 1 is ill. It must be important to them, Sarah describes it with hers, & I've noticed some one on here describe it. I'm crackers!!! but anything to improve chances yes?

Absolutely !!

I seem to be able to communicate with Rabbits much better than I can with people ...............

xx

definitely! i spent so much time curled up on the floor stroking eric when he was poorly, i've developed a clicky knee (old age....). comfort and reassurance will do thumps the world of good i hope x

Back