• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD vaccinations

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
As these have been mentioned in happybunny22000 thread I thought it might be a good idea to discuss it in a seperate thread :)

What age do members get their bunny VHD vaccinated?

Lapinject can be given from 5 weeks of age, whereas cylap is given at 10 weeks.

Baby bunnies have a natural immunity to VHD until 8 weeks due to maternal antibodies, so is it a good idea to vaccinate a bunny for it at 5 weeks?

The British Small Animal Veterinary Association state that a bunny should not be vaccinated under 10 weeks and if they have to be due to an outbreak they need revaccinating a month later. I assume they are talking about the Cylap injection in this case.

Just thought it would be nice to discuss as there seems to be a few reports of outbreaks at the moment:?

I would do it two weeks after the first myxi jab so 10 weeks. After the reaction Honey had to her first one surely 5 weeks is too young.

In dogs, early vaccination (before 10 weeks of age) is associated with autoimmune problems later in life. I have no idea whether it would be the same for rabbits, but it is the reason why I would not vaccinate under 10 weeks old, be is puppy or bunny.

Vera

I assume a baby bun would only have maternal immunity if the mother had been vaccinated?

No, because this has been found to be the case in wild rabbits which are obviously not vaccinated.

Don't ask me why, I don't understand these things :lol:

Does anyone know why it is OK to give Lapinject at 5 weeks but Cylap is at 10 weeks, how come they are so different?

Back