• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

spay plus myxi?

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Fudge is getting her spay done next week and is due her myxi jag next week too and the vet who is rabbit savvy said he will do it the same day as her spay but can this be done?

Just to double check?:wave:

Fudge is getting her spay done next week and is due her myxi jag next week too and the vet who is rabbit savvy said he will do it the same day as her spay but can this be done?

Just to double check?:wave:

My vets are happy to do that....Ive had 2 neutered and vhd jabs at the same time and one speyed and myxi same day.

No, I personally wouldnt do it. If she is spayed, you are comprimsing her immune system, becuase she has just gone under a pretty intesive operation. Its much better to vaccinate her when her immune system is back to its normal state, becuse the Nobi-vac mxyomatosis vaccine is a live vaccine, so the antibodies in her immune system can fight them off better.

Ok well hes a great vet and i trust him 100% so if he says its fine and you all say its fine i will get it done same day :D

No, I personally wouldnt do it. If she is spayed, you are comprimsing her immune system, becuase she has just gone under a pretty intesive operation. Its much better to vaccinate her when her immune system is back to its normal state, becuse the Nobi-vac mxyomatosis vaccine is a live vaccine, so the antibodies in her immune system can fight them off better.

Oh.....well i could wait then as i dont want it to affect her in any way so will get it done after

I would definately wait 2 weeks before getting the vaccination done. My vets will not give it any closer to a neuter anyway.

Vaccinating a bunny will affect their immune system so a bunny that has also been spayed may be more open to infection

I would also say no to myxi on same day but even more to VHD as that seems to have even more side effects.

She will be feeling rubbish anyway - The jab could be the difference between her getting her appetite back and not ;)

Good luck with the op though :)

Oh.....well i could wait then as i dont want it to affect her in any way so will get it done after

its based on the understanding of a live vaccine. She will need to be fit and healthy to fight off the vaccine (which contains a small virus that makes her 'immune' to myxo) and also any side affects she may have from it!
Like other people have said, i would definatley wait 2 weeks for her to have her mxyo! Her body needs to recuperate after her spay and concentrate on that.

the RWAF reccomend that the virus is only given to healthy buns click!

hope it all goes well for her though, and loads of quick healing vibes xx

Ok Thanks guys :wave:
I will wait to get her myxi done then and get her done with my other buns after she has healed a little :D

Glad i asked now :wave:

I was in the same boat as you with Star but my vet wouldn't do it on the same day. She went in for her pre-op check up, had her jab and then went in for her spay two weeks later ...

I definitely wouldn't get it done at the same time, your vet may well not have had any problems, but if your bun's body is busy trying to heal a spay wound and fight infection around that wound, I would say that the chances of the vaccine creating sufficient immunity are slim. I would rather not risk it, as for the sake of another fortnight, I think you stand a better chance of developing immunity for the next 6 months, if you see what I mean. Depending on where you feel the risk and necessity is, you could always get the vacc done when it's due and defer the spay for a couple of weeks so she's already protected when she goes in for her spay.

Back