• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Trouble with Baytril

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Does Baytril go off at all? I've had a few bottles from my vet the last few weeks and the first one got a cloudy lump in it (assumed I'd contaminated it), the second one had long crystal type strands in it and the last one i picked up just yesterday has a solid clear lump near the neck of the bottle - i can only just squeeze the syringe in there!!

I think they decant a batch of it into smaller bottles so its easy to pick up once prescribed, but is it going off??

Yes I think it can go 'off'. I've used it lots of times for small animals and when it goes 'cloudy' I've always chucked it away....

It should be kept refrigerated too (which the vet has never told me but lots of other people have).

Why don't you get Baytril in tablets form that you cut and smash in a little water and seringe ? so it keeps until they expiration date with no problem..

yes the liquid is supposed to be thrown away 4 weeks after opening (although don't forget that your vet will probably decant the liquid into a pot for you and it may have already been open for a while). I always found it goes cloudy in the fridge fast but that may just be me :lol:

Last edited:
I have that happens too, and asking the hospital, they said they mix the tutu fruit juice w/ baytril on 50-50 mix, and sometimes they use a substitute instead of tutu and thus the color change.

My bunny is on baytril every day now for the rest of his life and he's prescriped 60mls each time (1ml for each day) the vets have never mentioned that it will go off within a few weeks of me opening it and he's been on it since Jan 09 now and he's fine, i think its ok to still use after a couple of weeks :)

My bunny is on baytril every day now for the rest of his life and he's prescriped 60mls each time (1ml for each day) the vets have never mentioned that it will go off within a few weeks of me opening it and he's been on it since Jan 09 now and he's fine, i think its ok to still use after a couple of weeks :)

why for the rest of his life? what's the sickness?

:wave: The shelf life of baytril is 28 days after opening so if he really needs to be on lifetime baytril (& I would question looking at other antibiotics that may have more effect on an abcess) then you should be getting a new prescription every month :)

My vet told me that Baytril has a shelf life for 6 months once opened and even after that it just wont work, theres no danger to the bun.

Back