• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should i get my bunnies.....

PrincessPinky

Mama Doe
Vaccinated.... :?

None of mine are - they are all spayed and well cleaned out and looked after, so i never took them to have there Myxi jabs. Also there are no wild rabbits by us at all, so didnt think they would need Myxi jab.

what other vaccinations are there?

Should i get them done, how much will it cost me for 3 rabbits? Is it worth it, or should they be fine without it? What is the chance of them getting anything?

I love my bunnies so much!! If they are at risk i will certainly have them done!!! :D

Thanks xx

Yes definatly! Myxi is the awful if a rabbit catches it. At the moment the vets are recommending it to be done every 6 months, as the break outs are increasing!

Mxyi is spread by biting insects- fleas, ticks, gnats, mosquitoes.
So whether wild buns are nearby are actually irrelevant- it is a myth that only wild buns pass it on. Being indoors makes no difference either, house buns still get it.

The other one is VHD- known as the silent killer. There is no cure and happens so quickly, that normally, the first sign is a dead bunny. You can bring this in on anything, even on your shoes.

Definately vaccinate.
Mxyo- every 6 months
VHD- annually.

Myxi and VHD aren't affected by how clean your bunnies are - all it takes is a mosquito, gnat, flea, tick etc to bite a myxi wild bunny (and this could be miles from you) then bite your bunny. And VHD can travel on shoes, clothes, hands, so if someone's walked their dog through an infected field, then walked it through your town, you've wandered over their route and picked up the germs on your shoes, you could walk it straight back to your garden.
Just look at how quickly swine flu spread from Mexico to all over the world, viruses spread quickly so you should vaccinate anyway. You can always ask your vet if they'd do a discount if you had all 3 vaccinated at the same time, I did and got one :)
Actually, June is National Vaccination month so you may be able to get a voucher towards the costs!

http://www.vaccinationmonth.co.uk/

It's always better for a healthy rabbit to be vaccinated than not. Outbreaks are sudden and can spread very quickly, and you might not even be aware of an outbreak in your area until its too late.

I frequently have visitors from friends and relatives elsewhere in the UK, if I think too much about it, any one of them someone could unknowingly be from an infected area and bring the disease in some way, shape or form to my house :cry: It's always better to be safe than sorry in my opinion, as if just one of your bunnies picks it up then they will probably all get it :?

100% yes!

I won't repeat what everyone else has said but if you ever see a bun with Myxo, you will soon realise how very VERY important vaccinations are.

I would get their Myxo done as soon as possible as the weather is rapidly getting warmer.

Definitely get them done, you have nothing to lose. Just think if 1 of your buns did get Myxi or VHD how guilty you would feel knowing there was something you could have done to prevent it. Money well spent in my opinion :wave:

If tried to get the voucher and i said i can get discount of the myxi and VHD jab. How much you reckon ill pay roughly for 3 rabbits? :D I want to get them all done. There isnt no side effects is there?

If tried to get the voucher and i said i can get discount of the myxi and VHD jab. How much you reckon ill pay roughly for 3 rabbits? :D I want to get them all done. There isnt no side effects is there?

Phone the vets participating as prices will vary not just across country, but across vet practises. There are some side effects, as with any vaccination (I felt horrible after having my BCG jab!) but normally very minor and shortlived, such as a small limp, bunny being a little quieter, etc. Vaccinations aren't generally given if the rabbit is ill though, as vaccines stimulate the immune system so it needs to be working at its best to react properly and give the best protection

If they have never been vaccinated, then I would certainly get them done. I must admit though that my bunnies are only ever vaccinated once when I first get them, and then never again. My bunnies are however low risk cases as they live indoors and in the middle of London without any wild rabbits anywhere nearby.

Vera

If they have never been vaccinated, then I would certainly get them done. I must admit though that my bunnies are only ever vaccinated once when I first get them, and then never again. My bunnies are however low risk cases as they live indoors and in the middle of London without any wild rabbits anywhere nearby.

Vera

I also live in London and have seen wild buns. There some in my local park and I have seen them on a patch of waste ground near a DLR station. I thought all buns are at risk of catching Mixy :?

Vera

This means nothing.

It is spread by fleas, gnats, mosquitoes, ticks.
If you have cats/dogs, or even a neighbour, then they are at as much risk as any other bun.
Ever been bitten by a gnat? Then your buns are at as much risk.

This means nothing.

It is spread by fleas, gnats, mosquitoes, ticks.
If you have cats/dogs, or even a neighbour, then they are at as much risk as any other bun.
Ever been bitten by a gnat? Then your buns are at as much risk.

Yep!

I have two house buns and have them vaccintated. I wouldn't not have them done because I know myxi is so easily spread.
My friend had a house rabbit and said she 'didn't bother', likewise people have said to me that they've kept rabbits in the past and also 'didn't bother' but I could never forgive myself they caught something that could have been so easily prevented. Especially when I know better!

I pay £12ish for each jab but like everyone has said, its best to call around

I also live in London and have seen wild buns. There some in my local park and I have seen them on a patch of waste ground near a DLR station. I thought all buns are at risk of catching Mixy :?
That may well be possible, but I live away from parks. There is definitely no wild bunnies in our area...

Yes, all bunnies are at risk of catching mixy including mine, but I have made an informed decision that after initial vaccinations, I will not vaccinate my bunnies any further unless absolutely necessary. I have made the same decision for my dogs (with the only difference that my dogs are titre tested). Vaccinations are not risk free, they are potentially linked to autoimmune problems and do cause reactions in a great deal of bunnies (just read the forum...).

Considering my particular circumstances and considering all I know about vaccinations, I have come to the decision that I have... Someone else might come to a different decision in the same situation and that's absolutely fine! :) I am by no means asking people not to vaccinate their bunnies, because it does save lives without doubt, I am simply telling you what I do and my opinion as the OP asked for it! ;)

Vera

PS. The fact that I have two dogs with autoimmune problems, possibly caused or triggered by vaccinations, has of course influenced my decision as has the fact that I never really have GI stasis problems or many of the other common health problems in my rabbits like so many other people do... I do wonder whether some of it may be due to the very frequent vaccinations of rabbits, particularly if mixy is done every six months... It is a burden on the immune system (hence why only healthy rabbits should be vaccinated) without doubt. I would definitely never recommend vaccinating a rabbit that has continuous health problems of any kind (be it GI problems or anything else).
And then of course, you get the many cases where even vaccinated rabbits/dogs die from the diseases they are vaccinated for!

But as I said, I am not against vaccinations at all and always recommend it to other people but also explain why mine are not done yearly so people at least know all the options and can make an informed decision - whatever that decision may be. :) In fact, it is the overvaccination that I am worried about, not vaccinations as such! All my bunnies and dogs have had their initial vaccinations!

Last edited:
hi, I agree with the others, I have 4 rabbits and they are all up to date on mixi and VHD jabs. My neighbour had two rabbits didn't have them vac'd and she lost them both to mixi. In the past when I kept rabbits as a child, my favorite, snowy, caught mixi and had to be PTS to end the pain he was in. I remember it now, like it was yesterday (it was over 20 years ago) it was horrible :( so yes do get them vac'd, it might just save their lives :)

Back