• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

need professional medical advice

Ted an Petal

Warren Veteran
i'm taking ralph down to the vets tomorrow evening after him going without anitbiotics for 2.5weeks. his nose doesn't seem wet but every now and then white snot. i've just been wondering would the snot problem actually be to do with his teeth hence the thinness. apparently his teeth we're checked but bear in mind alot of vets in N.I still arent' really rabbit savy. if he still hasn't gained weight in a couple of months i'll pay for him to have his teeth checked under anst. but just wondering what everyones thought is on this. he eats great slowly but he is always munching and munching on hay too.

I don't know what could be causing this but believe that you shouldn't wait a couple of months to get his teeth checked as his weight could plummet even more within a matter of days.

well he has been deemed to have pasturuella, he's eating really well hence why i'm waiting, i don't want to put him under unneccessary stress of another ansthetic. hence why i'm gonna wait with him, he has gained weight but it's slow which i guess is to be expected.

Have you used special measures to try to fatten him up? I have read about porrige and was it barley cubes?

Can't you buy special bunny food for fattening up underweight bunnies?

Sorry Ted an Petal if i seemed to offend you in anyway or anything. I didn't think of the stress of another anaesthetic until you mentioned it.
I hope ralph gets fatter soon!
x

white snot is more likely pasteurella than teeth (though you can never rule it out, or might be concurrent :roll:). The physical exertion of breathing against the gunge in his lungs might be what is making him skinny, but if he is eating well then i'd be inclined to persevere and carb-load him! Pasteurella can take aaaaaaaaaaages to clear up, but if you can minimise the other "stressors" e.g. temperature, environmental stress, diet changes, etc then he should pick up over time.

thankyou so much guys for your feed back, Amy0x it's okay, you didn't offend me trust me thats very hard to do ;). Happy Hopping i'll have a read about your bunny. i have read about giving them corn and porridge but with that other problems can occurr. he's basically getting a full bowl of pellets hay all day and and his veg i'm trying to get him out to grass as much as possible too. i just don't want him suffering but i have to try new things as well with him, i'm sure this heat isn't helping him at the moment but can't really do anything about that. my head is turned, just want to see him happy.

okay read through all those posts. Ralphs symptoms seem sligthly different, he only sneezes, his nose is rarely wet but the odd time he'll have the white snot, his eyes are really clear and never watery. he does get noisy if lifted (understanably so i try and avoid lifting him) he does seem to sneeze more when i give him fresh hay, but it's meant to be dust free. aw my head is pickled. anyone know the cost of getting a culture done?

Back