• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny with strange stomach spasms... Any ideas??

BunnyBekkie

Warren Veteran
I got an phonecall from a lady who does a lot of work for the rescue earlier about her bunny Nooshi. Nooshi suffers with really odd stomach spasms, and she can't get an answer why. She rang me to ask if I could come on here and ask you guys with your mountains of bunny knowledge. She emailed me the problem, so I'll copy and paste it on to here, and let her know what you guys know :)

Hi Rebecca

As you probably know Nooshi is a rescue. She is a very easily stressed rabbit who when she first came to us would only back away and bite. After 4.5 years she is very relaxed with us and sits with us on the sofa. Over the time we have had her she has had occasional short bouts of stasis which she recovered from very quickly (about 24 hrs). Last May she had a funny episode and has them occasionally since. At the beginning of March she did it again and now she is like it most days - the following occurs. She may not eat all her 'breakfast' which is her pellets she will sit up tuck her head down and have an abdominal spasm which draws her abdomen in so far she looks like a Belgian Hare, the sides of her abdomen expand sideways like a rugby ball. This can be so violent that she 'leaks' urine and makes a sound like a cross between a snort and a burp as the force expels air through her nose. I have never seen this in a rabbit before, I have seen them tuck their sides in when they are in pain but not this violent action. She appears distressed when it is less violent but not in real pain as when it is over she can return to normal as if it never happened, when it is violent she will refuse to eat. Her normal diet is extruded pellets, lots of hay all day and an evening meal of veg, in the summer she has lots of grass and herbs. Her faeces are usually not much smaller than a malteser except when she has the bad bouts of this problem. It's almost as if her body spasms to expel faeces yet normally they are large, pale and very fibrous so in theory should travel through the GI tract no problem. Last May a locum vet told me the problem was in the rectum, a rectal impaction, and she does sometimes have a number of faeces there which can be 'squeezed' out, but even when the rectum is empty she can do this abdominal spasm. We have radiographed her abdomen and all appears normal, she has had bloods, urine and faeces samples taken - all normal.

She is about 6 yrs old, spayed at about 10 months old and fully vaccinated

The start of this e-mail is to give you some background in case you need it, but the basic problem is these really odd spasms that no-one not even Bristol Vet School seem to be able to shed light upon. If you can find anyone who has had a similar problem and knows what it is I would be so grateful. I can't leave her as she is and really would appreciate anything you find

As I said on the phone I'll pay for any extra expense you incur

Thanks for your help
Best wishes Cornelia

I wonder if your friend has tried feeding whole veg ( so it takes longer to eat) for breakfast, and saving the pellets for supper? As the rabbit sounds fit as a flea, and happy, apart from the abdo spasms, perhaps shes just very hungry in the morning pigs her breakfast too fast, and air sucks whilst chewing? Has she ever used an antispasmodic?

What about trying a Hay and Veg only diet ?

How long does an attack last and do they always occur at roughly the same time of day?

What meds have been tried and have any helped?

Whats her fluid intake like ?

Buscopan is useful for abdominal spasms.

How do you know there is odd stomach spasms? Did you hear any noise? Is there any "water pouring" noise? Is your bun having 90% diet as her diet?

Sorry I have never experienced anything similar, sounds like the owner has done everything possible to get to the bottom of it.

Back