• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sun/Heat Protection

kiviraat

Young Bun
As we all know, the UK has had some seriously warm weather (no cloud cover where I am) the past few days and I was a little bit worried about Molly's ears and nose. She had slight sundamage to them when we found her (she's mostly white), but I'm not sure about applying sunblock.

We have put shade across her run when she's out in it, but would sunscreen be of any benefit to her? She grooms her ears regularly so I would be worried about her ingesting anything with chemicals. Is there anything natural I could conjour up for her?

I was also going to try and get a cooling block for her or at least a frozen bottle wrapped up tight, but again, I'm not sure about skooshing her ears with cold water. I don't want to frighten her and I don't want it to end up that it's broken the bond we're trying to build up with her at the moment. Are there other options to keep bunbuns cool?

Thanks for everything :D

I asked the same question not too long ago. Someone posted the link below for rabbit suncream. Basically has a bitter taste to put them off licking it. Should be safe i would have thought.

We are going buy some for Pebs ears and nose tip. Smudge is harlequin so should be fine. He loves sun bathing and follows sun around the garden

http://www.petremedies.co.uk/Sun-Pro...FQiF3godXhHobQ

http://www.petremedies.co.uk/produc...s=0&CAT_ID=0&P_ID=118&btnProduct=More+Details

Try the second link, just checked 1st and no longer working

Last edited:
We dip our fingers into a mug/bowl of water and wet the back of our bunny's ears. Obviously the front of the ear is more involved in heat loss but it tends to dribble down into his ear and he hates that, no surprise! But just wetting his ears, the backs of them with your fingers works as well as a mister, you could use a small hand held plant mister too, your bun may not notice that too much.

We peg towels to the run outside to give as much shade as possible. Scratch and Newton do an Ice pod, but frozen water bottles work well wrapped in a pillow case/towel. Once they are back in the house we position a small desk fan on the floor in front of their pen set to slow just for a couple of hours until his breathing returns to normal, but if they're running free then we use a pedestool fan as the cable is off the floor on those and out of harms way. Our dutch loves the fan now - he comes over and sits in front of it and shuts his eyes:D

I've got a small, very fine spray bottle from Superdrug which i spay into the air around my bun. Works quite well.

Back