• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vhd Warning

Raven Rexs

Mama Doe
just been informed that there has been a massive outbreak of VHD in Malden and yes its been confirmed by a vet.
a breeder has been stuck by it and has lost all her bunnies to this horrific disease :cry:
a lady came in wanting to buy a english lop kit she was allowed to handle some of her rabbits to see how she felt with them and that she was comfortable with owning one.
she left with her one
the vhd struck the next day
she called the vet as one of them looked quite within a few hours had signs
of the vhd blood from the nose vet came round it had passed away by this time he confirmed it after pm. had to have all the bunnies pts.
the breeder tryed to ring the lady went onto nswer phone she left her a message and now her number is no longer avaliable.

so please please breeders and rescues be very very careful who you let in and who handles your buns

so please please breeders and rescues be very very careful who you let in and who handles your buns

Is this New Malden in Surrey? Problem is you can in no way tell who may or may not have been in contact with VHD, so can't "vet" who handles your buns, only sure way to protect is to vaccinate!

Last edited:
My girl bunny died of VHD yesterday I think. I thought she was just a little lethargic because of the warm weather. She had been eating and the day before she had been running around like normal. But I found her, thought she was as sleep in the shade but then noticed the blood on her nose. :roll: Stupid me.

Now I am worried my other rabbit has probably got it and will shortly die. I was due to take them both to vets for vaccinations this week!!! I did read that there is no cure and so I am wondering if there is any point in taking him until I know he definitely doesn't have it? I read that it takes 1-3 days to show any signs? Do I rush him to the vets or just keep an eye on him for a week until I know for sure? Would a vaccination now be too late?

You've described one tragic, self inflicted case, not a "massive outbreak". Scaremongering about this virus does not help. What a shame this breeder culled her entire stock, rather than employ a strict isolation/ quarantine procedure.
As the virus can survive for a minimum of 100 days, I hope all rabbit shows have been cancelled for the forseeable future, if this is infact a veterinary confirmed case of VHD, and not breeder guesswork?

just been informed that there has been a massive outbreak of VHD in Malden and yes its been confirmed by a vet.
a breeder has been stuck by it and has lost all her bunnies to this horrific disease :cry:
a lady came in wanting to buy a english lop kit she was allowed to handle some of her rabbits to see how she felt with them and that she was comfortable with owning one.
she left with her one
the vhd struck the next day
she called the vet as one of them looked quite within a few hours had signs
of the vhd blood from the nose vet came round it had passed away by this time he confirmed it after pm. had to have all the bunnies pts.
the breeder tryed to ring the lady went onto nswer phone she left her a message and now her number is no longer avaliable.

All the rescues I know of vaccinate...I feel breeders should also!

Is that Malden in Essex ?

Poor Bunnies, shame the Breeder didnt vaccinate :cry:

yes

I hope all rabbit shows have been cancelled for the forseeable future, if this is infact a veterinary confirmed case of VHD, and not breeder guesswork?
Rabbit shows will not be cancel however though any breeder that has vhd is banned from showing for 6mths
yes she should of vacinated as it would of only been £1.50 each its not alot at all per each bun

Why would it only have been £1.50? Where can I vaccinate mine for £1.50? :lol:
I am extremely close to Maldon :lol:

What a shame. Very sad and goes to show vaccination is the key.
When I read this thread, all I wanted to do was go and cuddle my two.
Now Im covered in bunny fur...:roll::lol:

yes

Rabbit shows will not be cancel however though any breeder that has vhd is banned from showing for 6mths
yes she should of vacinated as it would of only been £1.50 each its not alot at all per each bun

As the virus can survive in the environment for many months, how on earth will anyone know who's rabbits have come into contact with it, or, are incubating it? As a matter of interest, when did this "massive outbreak" occur? Did the vet who performed the PM, send off tissue samples to rule out other conditions that can present in a very similar way at post mortem? Also, are breeders still importing vaccines from Europe?

As the virus can survive in the environment for many months, how on earth will anyone know who's rabbits have come into contact with it, or, are incubating it? As a matter of interest, when did this "massive outbreak" occur? Did the vet who performed the PM, send off tissue samples to rule out other conditions that can present in a very similar way at post mortem? Also, are breeders still importing vaccines from Europe?

incubation time on vhd is very short.
like ive said shes not allowed to attend shows for 6mths.
24th of may.
i dont know if the vet sent samples only that the vet confirmed it to her and pts all of them as if they did get over the virus they would harbour it for the rest of thier life putting other buns at risk.
yes i believe they are.

VHD incubates within a rabbit for 3 days, you have 3 days from contraction to death. VHD can be carried on anything to anywhere, a bird can carry it on it's foot! VHD can live in soil for up to 4 years and can not be killed by anti bacterial sparys etc. If your rabbits contract VHD they will die. The only option to protect against VHD is to vaccinate.

Last edited:
Back