• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Beau's sore patch U/D worse, wv pics :(

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Well Beau has just finished his 7 days of metacam (alongside 5 days baytril) and his back is looking no better. He's not chewing it as much, and there's still no broken skin, but the bald patch is getting bigger and bigger.

When we took him to the vets the last time, the vet suspected maybe mites, and said it couldn't hurt to treat him for them even if he didn't have them. When she parted the fur you could see a sort of dandruffy sort of a thing, a bit like someone had got a bit of porridge on him! The skin itself in the bald bits is blotchy, kind of like what septicaemia looks like (I know that's not what it is, just trying to accurately describe it). Although he's chewing that patch less, his ears and feet also seem to be bothering him.

Does this sound like mites? If that was the case, would we not have expected it to improve a bit since the treatment on Tuesday? If not, what else could it be?

We still have some metacam left, should we keep giving him it?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Not sure what it could be but what treatment for mites did he get? The treatment millie and thumper had before was invermectin injection which they had to get 3 times with 2 weeks between each injection :D They started to show improvement after the second injection :wave:

Hope he starts to get better soon x

Not really, but the sore bit itself has got bigger, so whatever is annoying him obviously still is!! (If you see what I mean, god my English is bad for an English teacher!!)

I didn't know you were an english teacher! Never mind my sons english teacher told me in "We don't teach grammer anymore its ideas mainly." In my day we saved ideas for drama!

Thank heavens you're not a nurse as I believe Septicemia is blood poisoning! maybe you meant psoriasis:lol:

I'd give the vets a call or pop him along for a check.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Thank heavens you're not a nurse as I believe Septicemia is blood poisoning! maybe you meant psoriasis

Yeah septicaemia is blood poisoning, that's why I said I know that's not what it is, I was just trying to convey that the whole bald area isn't pink, it's all speckled like burst blood vessels, like the meningitis rash:

mening.jpg

Altho yes it is definitely a good thing I'm not a nurse, I'm trying to convince my OH to let me stay in bed cos I've got a cold. "But I'm weeeeeeeeeeeeally pooooooooooooooooorly :cry:" :lol:

Oh I see, yes thats a bit odd isn't it. I guessed you meant patchy and scaley so thought you maybe meant psoriasis, sorry.

I wonder if this is a result of his fussy over it rather than the cause?

Oh I see, yes thats a bit odd isn't it. I guessed you meant patchy and scaley so thought you maybe meant psoriasis, sorry.

I wonder if this is a result of his fussy over it rather than the cause?

Probably. I wish I could explain to him. And I'm not allowed to even look at girly buns to bond him with until he's better. It's a vicious circle - he chews his wound cos he's bored and lonely, then it gets worse, then he has to wait longer for the girly bun who would distract him from his wound :roll:

He's got an aptmt on Friday for more mite treatment, it's just with the last lot not seeming to have improved matters, I wondered if anyone had any other ideas, cos if it's not mites it seems unfair to make him wait til Friday.

My poor monkey, his back isn't any better, if anything it looks worse:

DSC00163.jpg

DSC00164.jpg

Not the greatest pictures cos he won't keep still :roll: We have a follow up appointment tomorrow, and he's letting me stroke him, he's eating, drinking pooing, etc, so I think it can wait til tomorrow, but I don't know what the vet will do - he's already had fuciderm, metacam, baytril and mite treatment and nothing's worked :cry:

I don't know what one of those is but no, he hasn't been put under a special lamp. I was wondering if it could be that, cos it's definite patches, but only in the last 24 hours started to look circular

I don't know what one of those is but no, he hasn't been put under a special lamp. I was wondering if it could be that, cos it's definite patches, but only in the last 24 hours started to look circular

It's like an ultraviolet lamp that makes the fungus glow. (n.b. not all types of ringworm glow though).

There are various brands of anti-fungal cream. I'm using Surolan on one of my buns at the moment for a skin condition

It could still be mites, the treatment with Ivermectin (spot-on or injection) is a course of 3x treatments over 6 weeks to break the life cycle of the mite. You may not see improvement until this course has completed. Fur regrowth I'm guessing could take a month or two properly? Yeah maybe it's ringworm? or perhaps it's flea/other biting insect bites? fur can fall out with any skin irritation if it's bad enough. I hope your vet manages to make a diagnosis this time and that your bun feels better soon:)

Just to update you, he went to the vets today and they gave him a second dose of invermectin, and also took samples to check if it's ringworm. The vet agreed that it's definitely not infected, but it's just not getting any better.

Tried to hand feed him today, cos he really doesn't like me at the mo, since chasing him and medicating him and dragging him to the vets. He was having none of it :cry: He let me kiss his nose though :love: I love him so much. When the vet asked me if I wanted to test for ringworm I said "Yes, please, I'll do anything!", she rubbed my arm, I think she thought I was gonna cry :oops:

Back