• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Problem, I think

komodo182

New Kit
Hello,
I am new to this site and I have taken two "female bunnies" in with my girlfriend from people that could no longer care for them. They came from two different owners. One is a Rex black and white bunny and the other is believed to be a french loppy earred bunny. They are supposed to be both females, but after introducing them I know the rex is no longer a female,lol. They had sex for about 2-3 seconds so my first question is, is the female loppy earred pregant? My second question is, should we get the male fixed?
Third, if I do not get him fixed, can their cages be side by side, or should they be in separate rooms even? Fourth, how long until the get too old to mate? Fifth, if she is pregant, what signs should I look for? Any information on this subject would be great. My guess is that I am not the first to receive two female bunnies that were not female,lol.
Thanks a lot

There is a chance that the female could be pregnant!
I'd advise you to go to a vet as soon as possible to get them both neutered then once they have recovered from they're op's, you could bond them so they both have company! :D

They must be separate until you can check both sexes. Some females will mount each other to show dominance, so you could still have two females. You can have cages side by side. I believe they can mate for the whole of their life, so if one isn't neutered, they can never be together (if they are male and female). If she's pregnant, she will nest a few days before giving birth, but rabbits hardly gain weight during pregnancy.

I realise you are in Canada, so you have a more difficult time with vets that us in the UK, so do the best you can. :)

I had guinea pigs before and I neutered the male, but not the female and had no problem. I know the rex is male since I saw a penis. I am looking for a vet and sent some emails, but vets are closed today and most will not deal with small animals like rabbits

I had guinea pigs before and I neutered the male, but not the female and had no problem. I know the rex is male since I saw a penis. I am looking for a vet and sent some emails, but vets are closed today and most will not deal with small animals like rabbits

Then the female is most likely pregnant, and they must be separate from now on until the male is neutered. If the male can not be neutered, then they can never be in the same space.

i think i may be able to get the male neutered, but neutered a female involves more work for vets and has more danger involved. most vets here deal with horses. they r both calm in different rooms now.

If vets in your area haven't spayed female rabbits before, then I wouldn't advise letting them loose on your girl.

A neutered male and unfixed female are usually a reasonably good match.

Definitely separate them asap, and don't allow any more contact until the male has been done for a couple of months (they can remain fertile for a while after the op.). If your girl is pregnant, she won't want the male around her anyway, and it could even cause her to kill the babies when they're born.

Seperate them immediately and take both of them (seperate carriers) to the vet at the earliest opportunity for a checkup and to check the sex. It is possible they are both girls, girls do mount each other to show dominance.

You really should get them both neutered anyway, female rabbits have very high chances of getting cancer in their womb from the age of about 5 up. If they get neutered this takes away most of the risk.

I'm sure you will be able to find a vet somewhere that knows how to do rabbits properly. I think there is at least one other member here from canada, so perhaps they could help, although I know canada is a very big place :)

i live in one of the smaller provinces, but we will what happens on monday. I know the rex is a male because of the penis and testes. I never could find a vet taht would neuter my female guinea pig and there was only one vet that would touch my male guinea pig in all of new brunswick

I do want to thank everyone on here for helping me, I wil keep you guys posted on what happens and hopefully she is not pregant for a few reasons. no space for teh babies, no homes planned and they are different species of bunnies.

my first question is, is the female loppy earred pregant?

Probably, but there is a chance that she may not be.

My second question is, should we get the male fixed?

Yes, it's a very easy op.

Third, if I do not get him fixed, can their cages be side by side, or should they be in separate rooms even?

I'd advise separate rooms because they will get sexually frustrated, and your male will probably start spraying urine.

Fourth, how long until the get too old to mate?

The male will always harrass the female if he isn't neutered. There is no definite age beyond which the female can't get pregnant.

Fifth, if she is pregant, what signs should I look for?

Rabbits generally don't show any signs of pregnancy until a few days before the birth...when she will start to pull fur from her belly to make a nest, and may become aggressive and moody.

so far so good then. They only did have sex for literally two seconds before I stopped it. I thought they were fighting,lol. I did not see any white stuff on the rex's parts, so I think I am safe for babies. But i guess I will know in about a month from what I have read.

so far so good then. They only did have sex for literally two seconds before I stopped it. I thought they were fighting,lol. I did not see any white stuff on the rex's parts, so I think I am safe for babies. But i guess I will know in about a month from what I have read.

It only takes a second for a female bun to get pregnant. There is rarely any evidence to show that the male has impregnated the female.

they are separated in different rooms and thats not a good sex life if it only takes 2 seconds,lol.
i hope she is not pregant, but worse case scenario she is. o well, nothing I can do to stop it. unless there is a day after pill for bunnies

Back