• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sheep shearing.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
I thought some of you might be interested to see how a sheep is shorn. We have a farmer friend who comes and does it, and has a good check over the sheep at the same time. Thankfully, although some of the older ones are thin, they are all healthy and have no problems. Hopefullly now they are on grass they will put some weight on. Even better news, the 5 rescue sheep have put on weight and have hoof growth.
Setting up-
DSC00372-1.jpg

into position-
DSC00373.jpg

start on the belly-
DSC00374.jpg

onto the side-
DSC00375.jpg

the head next-
DSC00375.jpg

the back-
DSC00376.jpg

the other side-
DSC00377.jpg

finished-
DSC00379.jpg

tidying up the fleece-
DSC00380.jpg

Last edited:
Awww I miss shearing time.

Although with my lanolin allergy it was always a bit of a risk but life's made up of risks anyway right.;):)

Lovely day for it and I'm sure with the hotter weather due this week that they will be very grateful.:D

start on the belly-
DSC00374.jpg

and this is why its important to tell the shearer if any of them are male :shock: seen it go wrong too many times....

i do love shearing though, knackers your back but so satisfying, especially outdoors in the sunshine - niiiiice!

and this is why its important to tell the shearer if any of them are male :shock: seen it go wrong too many times....

i do love shearing though, knackers your back but so satisfying, especially outdoors in the sunshine - niiiiice!

We have 4 wethers, but he checked them all over first before clipping. It seems Noggin has a bit left behind though, so he is a bit of a rig. Obviously sterile though- thankfully.

Back