• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Self Watering bowl

Ashley84

New Kit
Hello!

I have a 10 week old (today's his bday) mini dwarf rabbit.

I've given him a proper diet of premixed timothy hay, alpha alpha and rabbit pellets infused with vitamins. He has timothy hay for his litter pan, and newspaper for his bedding. He has several treats and toys.

But he's not really drinking out of his water bottles. First, I gave him one that has a small "stick" that he can lick to give him water, and I didn't notice him really taking to it well: hard to use for him. I put down water bowl and let him at it (glass bowl).

I got him a second water bottle, this one with a balled tip. He wont even go near it.

I was thinking, because I sometimes have to work a bit longer than normal, and because he tends to dump the water bowl, that I get a small self watering bowl (like cats use) for him.

What do you think?

they drink more water if it's on bowl. In fact, in my house, I have 4 bowl of water, in all 4 of their favorite spots in the house.

All 4 bowls are heavy clay, so they can't tip over. I have seen the electronic plug in self watering bowl. If your bun is not free range, you can use it. If he's free range, he can bite the wire

If your worried about the amount of water, theres those bowls that work under gravity, i cant really desribe it, argos sell them

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...gId=1500001501&langId=-1&searchTerms=035+2370

although iv seen them on online pet stores cheaper before, under cat products.

No wires to bite through, im not sure how easily it could be tipped over, but if its full when you go i doubt the bun could do it.

One of mine was on a bowl, but shes starting to use a bottle now on her own. She constantly got hay/sawdust/poos and stood in it, and i really didnt like it hygene wise, but theres nothing you can do about that while your at work, other than maybe providing a few bowls so she may have a clean one.

You didnt say where your rabbit was kept, so this may not be suitable if space is limited. If your wanting to get the bun onto a bottle then just leave it there, within time it may be curious enough to try it, but always leave a bowl until then! Good luck

I was thinking of the gravity forced one, just smaller. I may even make one, with a water bottle or something.

Soval does knock over the bowl a lot too. I just don't want to spend the money on a heavy crock bowl... They run about 10$ a pop in Louisiana. I haven't a clue why.

Thanks for the great advice... Anything else you can tell me about baby rabbits, I'd love to know!!! :wave:

Back