• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing new food - but she's not eating it?

Benjamin09

Young Bun
Chedi's currently on russell rabbit meusli mix, so I've just started her on excell junior from today. She's eaten pretty much all the meusli (apart from the bits she doesnt like), but has also left the pellets?

Is this normal for the first day of it?

Sometimes the buns dont know what theyre missing out on till theyve tried it...i swapped one of my older ones onto excel but like yours, she didnt eat it, so i cut down on the quantity of food for a few days so she was a bit hungry (she still ate her veg and hay though) as she LOVED her food, and she eventually tried it, then that was the first thing she ate everyday as i swapped her over.

Unfortunately my older older bun just plain refused to eat it, iv never been able to put her on it!

Dont worry too much, its only the first day, your bun might just be wary of it as its new, my two younger ones were the same with new veg, didnt want to try it but after a few days they had a nibble and havent looked back since. J

Just be patient, try leaving that amount for a few days, if no luck try cutting down the total amount of food whilst leaving the same proportion, and maybe your bun will be hungry enough to eat it. If its there overnight she might nibble on it if your lucky...Good luck!

I'll see what she's eaten by morning. I guess I'm just paranoid that she wont like pellets as its the pellet shapes in the meusli she doesn't eat..but I want her to eat them

I have been trying to change Peter on to pellets for almost 3 weeks with no success. He has always left the pellet bits in the mix food and now he leaves those bits and the pellets I have added. I tried just putting pellets in after 2 weeks of mixing the feeds but he didnt eat anything!

Its very frustrating because I have just bonded him with Mopsy who changed onto pellets no probs. I am having to give them their food in separate bowls.

Your bun might not ever like the pellets im afraid, like i said one of mine wouldnt go near it, and as BeatrixPotter said no success with one bun but fine with another...

Dont give up just yet, it is early days. Hopefully someone can come and advise you better soon. The only other thing is to try for a while, if no success try with another pellet, they smell and i presume taste different.

I know the breeder i got my male bun from said she had problems with one of her buns onto one pellet, so tried dodson and horrell and they loved that one (and its really cheap, although harder to get hold of and only come sin 20kg sacks, so this may not be suitable, but the point is another pellet might work).

Did the bun eat any of the pellets overnight, or did she leave it?

That might be as she in effect ate the pellets on their own, rather than them being mixed, as she already ate the regular food early on, maybe?

Sorry, cant really help...but if it was me, id keep an eye on her poos throughout the day while still giving a mix, and if no improvement stop the pellets or cut down (again this is just my opinion, others might say take her off it right away).

As you said she ate them over night, then maybe it is a hunger issue...you could maybe settle her stomach by just giving her the normal food for a day or so, then mix it again but cut down on quantity, then when shes ate all that top it up? Just an idea...

Back