• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

best veg.

Best to start them on spring greens or carrot as they are not used to it yet. Just give them small quantities to start with and then you could move onto something like herbs.

Parsley is always a good one to start:)

Maybe try a little bit of cabbage or as Hurricanhoney suggests, spring greens next. Always try one at a time in very small amounts in case it causes tummy upsets. After trying a veg, keep an eye on the non-biting end for 24 hours after.

Actually, my rabbits can't eat processed rabbit pellets - they give them diarrhoea. They eat a diet entirely of veg, grass and hay, with a little fruit and the occasional cracker. Here's a list of veg they eat, which they love:

Watercress
Spinich
Rocket
Broccoli
Carrots (and their tops)
Tomatoes
Cucumber
Celery
Sweetcorn
Peas
Chicory
Cauliflower (small amounts)
Sprouts

And herbs they like are:

Parsley
Basil
Coriander

I'm not suggesting you try him on all of these at once though! Just introduce them gradually and see how it goes.

Last edited:
yep grass you have in the garden ;) you mention cracker what sort of cracker isn't it too hard? i have gluten free crackers would they be ok?

Crackers and breads are only really suitable for the occasional treat, although, no, they aren't too hard. If you only have one bun I suggest you only give them half. I give my boys:

Melba toast
Finn crisp
Krisp rolls
Water biscuits
Oatcakes
Small amounts of toast and bread (preferably brown or granery)

They have them only VERY occasionally though, as they obviously aren't part of their natural diet!

Gluten free crackers sound fine, but like I say, for a rare treat.

Last edited:
Crackers and breads are only really suitable for the occasional treat, although, no, they aren't too hard. If you only have one bun I suggest you only give them half. I give my boys:

Melba toast
Finn crisp
Krisp rolls
Water biscuits
Oatcakes
Small amounts of toast and bread (preferably brown or granery)

They have them only VERY occasionally though, as they obviously aren't part of their natural diet!

Gluten free crackers sound fine, but like I say, for a rare treat.

ooppps better tell hubby then my house buns get a cracker each EVERY night!!!!
spoiled little things!!:oops:

Oh, and you may have some plants growing in the garden that your bun'll enjoy - as long as you're 100% certain you know what they are! Here are a few:

Dandelion leaves (my boys can't get enough)
Daisies
Sunflower flowers
Geranium flowers
Marigold flowers
Borage
Cowslip
Camomile
Meadowsweet
Clover

Actually, my rabbits can't eat processed rabbit pellets - they give them diarrhoea. They eat a diet entirly of veg, grass and hay, with a little fruit and the occasional cracker. Here's a list of veg they eat, which they love:

Watercress
Spinich
Rocket
Broccoli
Carrots (and their tops)
Tomatoes
Cucumber
Celery
Sweetcorn
Peas
Chicory
Cauliflower (small amounts)

And herbs they like are:

Parsley
Basil
Coriander

I'm not suggesting you try him on all of these at once though! Just introduce them gradually and see how it goes.

Very interesting. I feed a similar diet to my rabbits, but replace most of that vegetable list, with wild plants. I still feed a tiny amount of SSS, but have never had a rabbit with an upset gut due to a good quality extruded pelleted feed. What in the pellets are your rabbits reacting to ?

I've tried them on absolutely everything! Bunny Brunch, Pets At Home musli, Super Excel, Science Selective, Russel Rabbit...

For 2 and a half years I gave them Bunny Brunch, and throughout that time they had diarrheoa every day, and were quiet and inactive. I'd never had rabbits before and didn't realise it was unusual - I thought the diarrheoa was just the soft droppings they're meant to do. When they were about 2 and a half they just seemed to stop eating the Bunny Brunch, picking out only the vegetables I provided. That was when I started experimenting with different diets. I eventually found 'Dr Susan Brown's hay and vegetable diet' In 'The really useful bunny guide' by Carolina James (it is REALLY useful - I reccommend it for all bunny owners). This was just hay, vegetables, a small amount of fruit and the occasional wheat product. Since then they've never looked back, (although my pocket has - wistfully!) They've become full of energy and are generally very healthy and happy, just as buns should be.

I've tried them on absolutely everything! Bunny Brunch, Pets At Home musli, Super Excel, Science Selective, Russel Rabbit...

For 2 and a half years I gave them Bunny Brunch, and throughout that time they had diarrheoa every day, and were quiet and inactive. I'd never had rabbits before and didn't realise it was unusual - I thought the diarrheoa was just the soft droppings they're meant to do. When they were about 2 and a half they just seemed to stop eating the Bunny Brunch, picking out only the vegetables I provided. That was when I started experimenting with different diets. I eventually found 'Dr Susan Brown's hay and vegetable diet' In 'The really useful bunny guide' by Carolina James (it is REALLY useful - I reccommend it for all bunny owners). This was just hay, vegetables, a small amount of fruit and the occasional wheat product. Since then they've never looked back, (although my pocket has - wistfully!) They've become full of energy and are generally very healthy and happy, just as buns should be.

Mine especially love mallow, meadowsweet, milkthistle, shepherds purse, plus the usual edible plants, both wild and cultivated. They get different grass varieties, and I make nettle hay for the winter, which they go nuts for. I tend not to feed pellets during summer, but start reintroducing it towards the end of September.
Do you also use plants and herbs for their medicinal properties?

To be honest, no - I don't know enough about what helps what. With a vet in the family I just tend to use prescription medications.

Has anyone had good success using herbs and plants to cure ailments?

Back