• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rearguarding

Rachie

Mama Doe
As its getting so warm and I've noticed lots of flies around today (okay so 3 :shock: ) I think the time has come to rearguard my bunnie bums!

If I remember correctly the chap at the vet said to give them both a good drenching with it from halfway down their back, but I'm wondering how much of their bums do I need to cover with it?

Any other tips would be gratefully appreciated. For example - how am I going to keep them to sit still long enough :)

Thanks in advance
Rach xx

:wave:Hello :wave:

Well i just rearguarded my two yesterday. I soak all there back [from half way up] and right down under there belly and all between the back legs and around the bum etc. I am lucky as my two like being groomed so sit quite good but if you struggle can you trance them at all as that is one way to keep them still. Otherwise someone hold the bunny and the other treat.

Good luck... also just maintain good hygeine and remove any soiled bedding /litter daily and make sure that all food etc is stored covered up.

:wave::love::wave:

:wave:Hello :wave:

Well i just rearguarded my two yesterday. I soak all there back [from half way up] and right down under there belly and all between the back legs and around the bum etc. I am lucky as my two like being groomed so sit quite good but if you struggle can you trance them at all as that is one way to keep them still. Otherwise someone hold the bunny and the other treat.

Good luck... also just maintain good hygeine and remove any soiled bedding /litter daily and make sure that all food etc is stored covered up.

:wave::love::wave:

Hmm my OH is away with work atm so I may have to wait a couple days until he gets home to assist.

I change their hay box/litter tray twice a day atm as they're house buns and I don't want my house getting stinky :lol:

Thanks for the reply :)

You could buy a spray on fly strike protector like Johnsons it sells at £3.99just for the moment. Might give you a bit of reassurance, lasts approx 7 days.My buns don't mind that as you just rub the fur the wrong way and spray. I find Rearguard very hard to put on and it takes my OH to reassure the bun while I'm doing it.:)

Unless you bun has a messy bum/urine problems I wouldn't use any of these products :? I don't really think there any point, regulary cleaning and bum checks is all thats needed. I don't like to use chemicals on the buns unless nessicary.

I have only used rear guard on a previous bunny which had a messy bum and was slightly overweight. I'm an obsessive bum checker :oops: I do use lemon balm and mint plants outside the runs which are natural fly repellents.

I wouldn't put chemicals on bunnies unless the bunny is old, overweight or had a disability so that they could not clean efficiently. I don't think they should be used on healthy bunnies.

i worry sick about fly strike. I too check bums etc and do use rearguard as gizmo does get a mucky bum at times due to his stomach problems. I am obsessive about it as I saw a friends bunny that got flystrike and it was awful.... worst thing i have ever seen. I like the idea of using the plants too. i also hang those sticky fly catchers up in the bunnies shed area [out of reach of the bunnies of course] and have some bell thing which smells lemony which is supposed to to de- attrack flys :? I do think i am a bit obsessive over this :lol::lol:

Okay so from that trip to the vets I've come away with panacur that I don't seem to need to use and rear guard that I don't seem to need to use and the flea treatment that I also don't need to use

Wow, that was £50 really well spent :? Any rescues need any of the above? :D

Okay so from that trip to the vets I've come away with panacur that I don't seem to need to use and rear guard that I don't seem to need to use and the flea treatment that I also don't need to use

Wow, that was £50 really well spent :? Any rescues need any of the above? :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm really quite annoyed. I thought vets were there to help animals not palm off a load of products that I don't really need.
I thought I was being naive as my pair are house buns thinking that they wouldn't really need it but vets know best etc.

So yes, would any rescues like my stuff?

*wanders off muttering*

Last edited:
I'm really quite annoyed. I thought vets were there to help animals not palm off a load of products that I don't really need.
I thought I was being naive as my pair are house buns thinking that they wouldn't really need it but vets know best etc.

So yes, would any rescues like my stuff?

*wanders off muttering*

I have bit caught out a bit the same in the past by the wonderful 'VETS KNOW BEST' theroy :roll::roll: but then i discovered RU and never looked back..... now unless it is an emergency like a bunny fracturing his skull [see one of my other posts] i always check on here for solutions to problems. I spent £100's on gizmo at the vets with his stomach trouble and in the end found the cure on here.... I even went back to the vet and told them so to.... they didn't give me my money back though [tut tut]..... My advise check with RU first.... but if in dought pay it out ....:lol::lol: Its annoying but better to be safe than sorry. Just a thought though if its unopen the vet will take it back.... :p

I have bit caught out a bit the same in the past by the wonderful 'VETS KNOW BEST' theroy :roll::roll: but then i discovered RU and never looked back..... now unless it is an emergency like a bunny fracturing his skull [see one of my other posts] i always check on here for solutions to problems. I spent £100's on gizmo at the vets with his stomach trouble and in the end found the cure on here.... I even went back to the vet and told them so to.... they didn't give me my money back though [tut tut]..... My advise check with RU first.... but if in dought pay it out ....:lol::lol: Its annoying but better to be safe than sorry. Just a thought though if its unopen the vet will take it back.... :p

I'm learning slowly but surely. I got my first bun at the end of October last year and his wifey bun came to me last month I think :love: so I'm still quite ignorant to some things

I'm learning slowly but surely. I got my first bun at the end of October last year and his wifey bun came to me last month I think :love: so I'm still quite ignorant to some things

it is annoying i know i have had yoshi about a year and a half and gizmo just over a year.... i am still learning :roll: But everyone on here is so helpful i am sure if you have any problems you will find plenty of support on here :love: If there is anything i can ever do to help you can PM me on here or i am on facebook or i can send you a email address.... i am happy to help anyway i can.

Good luck anyway. What sort of buns have you got mine are both lionlops but gizmo is strange as he is VERY long haired all over :lol::lol:

Good luck anyway. What sort of buns have you got mine are both lionlops but gizmo is strange as he is VERY long haired all over :lol::lol:

Everyone is really lovely on here, its a nice change from other forums I've used in the past where everyone seems to be out for 'one-up-manship'

I have a mini lop and a goat, I mean an uppy eared rabbit. Not sure what flavour she actually is...

P5300841.jpg

P5290840.jpg

Mishka was hit with flystrike several times due to messy bum, the only way we caught it was constant (twice a day) bum and bits checking. Since then we've always rearguarded all our rabbits.

There's an interesting thread about rearguard here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=177625&highlight=rearguard

Just something to be aware of if you are a regular user :)

Thanks, it made for interesting reading.

I really don't know whats the best thing to do. I'm leaning towards not giving them it. Like I said, I was wondering how much they were really going to need it anyway but thought I was being naive/generally ignorant

Just so I know, if flies do lay eggs, will they be very obvious to see?

Back