• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mucousy poos - are they very abnormal ?

Nicole+Alex

Warren Scout
Our female bunny has bad diahorrea in the past probably due to too much veg. She also potentially has low levels of pin worm which the vet does not seem worried by. At the moment her hard poos are glistening sometimes, almost covered by a mucousy secretion. They also have the odd white thing in them which could be worms or could be mucous. We have put her on a hay only diet for a few days which hasn't cleared it up. We wonder wether wheat and barley hay might not be helping. Has anyone seen this sort of thing before ?

Mucus in the faeces is abnormal and indicative of inflammation in the GI tract.

I would take your Rabbit back to your Vet along with a faecal sample.

Is your Rabbit spayed?
What is her normal diet?
Is she maintaining her weight?
Is she drinking excessively?

Ok we'll take her to the vet. Don't think she is drinking excessively. We have reduced her to a hay and pellet (science selective, one handful) only diet but she usually gets a carrot a day or equivalent other rabbit suitable veg (we do not give them beans any more). She otherwise seems well and happy. Thank you for your response.

I know it's generally thought that pinworms don't cause any ill effects, but IMO they sometimes do cause problems.

One of my rabbits had mystery gut pain, diahorrea and regularly had mucous in her poops since I adopted her. The vet and I were stumped as to what it could be until I noticed live pinworms in her poop one day. A short course of panacur (5 days worth) killed the worms, and all her health problems stopped virtually over night :)

Not sure a whole carrot a day is a good idea because they are quite high in sugars, and will make her fat.

It's always a good idea to feed the same veg everyday in smaller quantities...my rabbits have the same 4 veg everyday and don't suffer any ill effects because their digestive systems are used to it.

I know it's generally thought that pinworms don't cause any ill effects, but IMO they sometimes do cause problems.

One of my rabbits had mystery gut pain, diahorrea and regularly had mucous in her poops since I adopted her. The vet and I were stumped as to what it could be until I noticed live pinworms in her poop one day. A short course of panacur (5 days worth) killed the worms, and all her health problems stopped virtually over night :)

Thats really useful info

Thank you xx

Back