• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

flystrike

jenny s

Mama Doe
ive just cleaned out the buns and there is alot of flys in the shed so ive compleately emptied it and left it open all day.

how can i prevent the flys being in there? as i dont want to put my buns at risk of fly strike.

any ideas??

I've got a pot of lemon balm and mint outside the playhouse as I believe they are natural fly repellents. Citronella is a fly repellent to.

We use a door cover thing, i cant really describe it, it hangs from the top of the door frame, and has long thin strips of material, like the bead netting, wev had it years so i couldnt tell you where to get it from!

We also used fly paper at one point, doesnt stop them getting in but stops them lingering, so you could use both. Generally we dont get many flies, even though the door netting does fly about a bit, i think theyre much more attracted to the flowers in our garden!

To doubly make sure you could use a fly strike repellant, that way incase any flies get in your still covered...

You can get insectocutor things from B&Q that you can charge up and put in your shed. Also some mosquito netting (or net curtain) over the entrance/windows may help. Lidl did have some of the mosquito stuff last year.

I use johnsons cage and hutch spray wich repells flys upto 4 weeks i however use it everytime i clean them out and johnsons fly strike protector on their bum every 7 days, in total costs around £8.00 for the two.:)

Back