• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

myxomatosis injection...frequency?

HCB

Warren Scout
Hi everyone.

I was just wanting to check how often this should be given? I have had buns a long time, but unfortunately never had them vaccinated until now (i never knew about it when i was younger, and iv never known of any cases around here).

Iv heard its 6 or 12 months...I had my two little ones done a week ago (theyre going for vhd next friday, which i know if every 12 months) and on the vet reciept it gives a due date for next jab, of 6 months. I was just wondering if it really should be done after 6 months (as iv heard this is only needed in areas where its very common or vulnerable buns)? Or whether 12 months is fine? If i have to obviously ill get it done every 6 months.

As i said, iv never known of it around where i live, the vets normally tell me of viruses going around and there was one instance of a possible vhd but it wasnt confirmed. My buns are never in contact with wild buns, although iv heard it spreads by mosqitos too?

My buns really dont like the jabs, so id prefer to give it them as little as i have to, but as i said id much rather them not like me for a few days than catch myxo and suffer even more! Thanks for your advise!

:wave: In the past couple of years the recommendation has been upped to every 6 months. The vaccine only works for about 6 months and it used to be thought ok to give it in late spring so that it covers the main myxi season in late summer. But with the changing climate, wetter weater and milder winters, myxi is now being seen all year round, so it is now recommended ever 6 months through the whole UK and not just in high risk areas.

Even if you haven't seen any myxi buns it is still likely to be around,and it is spread by mosquitos, gnats, fleas etc so it is easily transmitted even if there aren't many wild buns in your area.

It's also a good idea to have your buns vet checked every 6 months anyway so overall I would recommend you have it done 6 monthly :)

My vet reckons 6 monthly as Im rural.....Ive not seen many myxis bunnies but its here.
Best to be safe.xx

Ok, thanks for that, 6 months it is then! VHD jab is still every 12 months though isnt it? My vets said it was...

I would have felt awful if my buns caught myxo because i left it to 12 months!

Im really glad this forum was created, its really helpful! As iv said, iv had buns all my life and theyv always lived healthy old lives with no problem, so i always thought what i was doing was right, but after my female bun got uterine cancer i was devestated, knowing i could have prevented it, but i just didnt know about the risks when i was younger, the vet never mentioned it to me or anything! So im glad theres somewhere like this to get info, its really helpful, and everyones so willing to help!

Thanks again!

Definitely every 6 months, myxi cases are being seen regularly for much of the year so protection is needed all year round.

Back