• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Milo - He's gone:(

Hunnybunny2007

Warren Veteran
Milo is still not right:cry: I'm waiting for the vets to open to get him in again today.
Wednesday night he refused his food so took him straight to the vets, she gave him the usual meds and asked to see him Thursday. On Thursday he went under GA to have his teeth checked/burred and he had a very small spur on one of his molars, the vet didn't seem to think it was bad enough to cause him too much pain, but different rabbits have different pain levels.
Took him back yesterday he was much better, eating drinking pooing although very small ones.
This morning he's still the same his poos are very tiny and not very often, I've been giving him 1.5 ml Maxalon twice a day from yesterday.
He's eating pellets, kale, dandelions, Basil but won't touch his hay:cry:
Also Twinkle has started chasing him and mounting him, which is very unusual.
I'm really worried about him, has anyone got any ideas what could be causing this:cry:

Last edited:
Has he had any pain relief ?
Is he drinking?

It sounds as though his guts are still very sluggish and so getting him well hydrated may make a big difference.

Has he had any pain relief ?
Is he drinking?

It sounds as though his guts are still very sluggish and so getting him well hydrated may make a big difference.

He's not had pain relief since Thursday, I saw him drinking this morning, but not a lot, I'll go and see if I can syringe some into him.

I'm not sure why Twinkles chasing him, unless she knows he has to keep moving to get his guts going?

Thats why I want to take him back for more pain relief - he had one on Thursday after his GA then he went to the vets Friday morning and he did seem much better, so she told me to just keep him on the gut stimulant.
Mine are all bowl drinkers, he's just let my syringe about 25ml cool boiled water into him, now he's grooming.

Last night I separated him from Twinkle so I could monitor his eating. He ate a small piece of carrot, quite a bit of kale and several dandelion leafs which would have been his normal portion. But he won't eat hay - when he tries he chews it for ages without it going down, then he just gives up:cry:

Thats why I want to take him back for more pain relief - he had one on Thursday after his GA then he went to the vets Friday morning and he did seem much better, so she told me to just keep him on the gut stimulant.
Mine are all bowl drinkers, he's just let my syringe about 25ml cool boiled water into him, now he's grooming.

Last night I separated him from Twinkle so I could monitor his eating. He ate a small piece of carrot, quite a bit of kale and several dandelion leafs which would have been his normal portion. But he won't eat hay - when he tries he chews it for ages without it going down, then he just gives up:cry:

That sounds like typical Dental discomfort.

A Dental burr can judder the tooth innervation about making chewing uncomfortable for a few days. Or sometimes the Vet can accidently nick some soft tissue during the dental. I am sure you know how sore even a tiny cut in the mouth can be !!
During a dental the jaw is clamped open. So muscular-type pain in the jaw can mean chewing hay is painful as a 'side-to-side' jaw action is needed.

The fact that Milo is eating fresh food makes me feel quite sure that he has some oral discomfort. A reduced fibre intake and mouth pain will BOTH contribute to reduced gut motility.

A few days on Metacam, good hydration and softened food should hopefully get him back on track

Last edited:
I've got an appointment at 11.20 so will definately get him on pain relief.

I could hear his tummy making noises when I was syringing the water into him - he's very good with this, he just sits there and I don't have to hold him, he just licks the syringe.

I've got an appointment at 11.20 so will definately get him on pain relief.

I could hear his tummy making noises when I was syringing the water into him - he's very good with this, he just sits there and I don't have to hold him, he just licks the syringe.

Gurgling whilst drinking is normal :)
I hope he doesn't start to expect his water being given by syringe all the time :shock:

He'll have you hand feeding slithers of carrot soon !!

Gurgling whilst drinking is normal :)
I hope he doesn't start to expect his water being given by syringe all the time :shock:

He'll have you hand feeding slithers of carrot soon !!

Grated carrot Thursday night - the slithers were too big (not joking). Twinkles grooming him, I suppose it will be peeled grapes soon:roll:

Still no improvement, he's had pain relief, and is now on Baytril, Maxolon and metacam. The vet thinks his mouth is still sore from having his teeth done on Thursday.
He's back at the vets on Monday, and if no improvement I'm going to ask for an xray in case it's his roots.
Please send any spare vibes for Milo, I hate to see this poor little guy so poorly:cry:

Oh Sue I'm so sorry to hear poor Milo isn't well :cry:

Sending lots of vibes for your special little man to be well again soon xxxx

awwww hun dont panic yet, ive read it can take weeks for a gut to work properly again after its had shut down (yup ive done lots and loads of reading on stasis) and if he teeth are hurting too its twice as much to get over...

just give him wet veg until hes feeling a bit better then youll be wondering why you was so worried this time next week :)

loads of feel better vibes for Milo xxxxxxxxxxxxx

awwww hun dont panic yet, ive read it can take weeks for a gut to work properly again after its had shut down (yup ive done lots and loads of reading on stasis) and if he teeth are hurting too its twice as much to get over...

just give him wet veg until hes feeling a bit better then youll be wondering why you was so worried this time next week :)

loads of feel better vibes for Milo xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I feel so helpless, I'm sitting here crying, I can't stand to see him like this:cry:

I feel so helpless, I'm sitting here crying, I can't stand to see him like this:cry:

yup and ill be the same on Thursday with peeps telling me not to panic, easier said than done it know :(:(

least he eating and drinking tho hun, you gotta cling to that hope, then bang little bugga will be running about like nothings happened ;)

my moms cat has took almost 4 weeks to get over his illness, body just takes time to recover same as us humans too after a big op

*huuuuuggggssss to you*

He's done a few odd poos so I'm hoping this is a good sign. I've rubbed his tum which seemed to help, please keep the vibes coming:cry:
Both Milo and Twinkle are indoors tonight so I can keep my eye on him:cry:

Back