• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

what causes rabbits to get warts?

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
as the title says!

i think matt has a wart on his ear. it's appeared suddenly and i don't know why. :?

looking at other threads i am sure it is a wart, but i'm taking him to the vets anyway just to double check, as he has snuffles and is on medication etc so hoping it's nothing to do with that.

alot of the threads i read never got any updates about what happened when they took the bun to the vets! so has anyone had a bun with warts and if so, what did the vets say/do etc?

Warts are caused by a virus, just as they are in humans

If the wart is not bothering the Bun, not in a place where it might cause problems (near the eye,nasal passages etc...etc..) and is not crusty and/or prone to bleeding I'd just leave it alone.
Should Bun need a GA for a Dental or some other essential op' the wart could be removed then but I would not choose to have it done purely for cosmetic reasons.

can they be non-crusty then? that was the only thing making me not 100% it was a wart, because whenever i read about them, it always says they are crusty, and matts isn't.

it's just on his ear and he doesn't seem bothered by it and it isn't bleeding or anything etc etc.

i am taking them to the vets soon anyway so i can get him to have a look and see, but i'm pretty sure it is a wart.

this pic is off an old thread on here and i have circled part of the 'wart' and this is exactly what matts looks like, exactly the size and shape i have drawn around. it didn't say in the old thread if this did turn out to be warts. are these them?

wartsbuns-1.jpg

To me that pic looks more like Treponematosis (Syphillis) but its very hard to tell from a photo. I cant make out if there is a crusty bit or if its discoloured fur :?

it does look exactly like that. don't know what it turned out to be with that bun, think i remember people mentioning syphillis though.

Does it smell at all? My bun used to get a form of dermatitis around her mouth before I got her which looked a bit like that and smelled. It was caused by stress I think.

Does it smell at all? My bun used to get a form of dermatitis around her mouth before I got her which looked a bit like that and smelled. It was caused by stress I think.

no, it doesn't smell. i tried to get a pic before but couldn't get close enough without the pic blurring. i'll mention dermatitis to the vet when i go.

forgot to update this. the vet said matts 'wart' is actually an insect bite, or a build up of hardened skin. she said to leave it unless it starts to get any bigger or seems to irritate him, even though i told her he was scratching it alot???

anyway, i could only get in to see her and not aidan so i'll see what aidan says when i see him next.

Back