• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Optimmune/ eye drops- stressed bunny stressed mummy!

natandfluffs

Alpha Buck
Hey

I had my gang for their myxi boosters on Thurs, talked to the vet about Pippin's eye thing (sore, closed and weepy) that happened in Jan, recovered quickly and came back in March.. went away again, but occasionally (I'd say about 3 times in the past couple of months) she'll have it half closed.

The vets test with litmus paper showed she's not producing enough tears (should have got to .5- one eye was .4 the other .3- I think) so not terrible, but enough to do something with.

So we have optimmune, a drop in each eye twice daily. The first couple of times she sat and let me do it, but now I can't get anywhere near her. Any ideas? Ways to make it manageable?

I'm tearing my hair out as I want to help her and do it properly, but don't want to stress her. I need to do it properly now because if it doesn't improve we're likely looking at lifelong treatment :(

I am affraid its a case of being firm .
Take her out of her own environment-eg into the bathroom
If you have someone to help get them to hold her whilst she is wrapped in a towel then you apply the eyedrops.

Be confident but not rough in your handling and offer her tastey treats after each treatment. Dont expect her to take the treat from your hand, but make sure she has something nice to eat as soon as you return her to her own environment.

Try to make sure that you spend some special time with her for other reasons than just giving her the eye drops

Good luck

Thanks for this Jane.

Am at the end of my tether trying to do it with a willing patient, though this is frustrating given that she was so good the first few days.... I had visions of training her to sit on a shelf in the shed whilst I did it :roll: perhaps I was a little too hopeful!

Ok, so firm but fair.

Already trying to spend lots of extra time with her, she's such a lovely sweet little bunny and I am afraid that she will hate me :cry:

Back