• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

vet school idiots and rabbits!

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
Just feel like having a rant - i had our "exotics" module review today, that includes rabbits, and we were discussing gut stasis. All good with diet improvements, metaclop etc but then the TUTOR said that analgesia probably wasnt really needed unless severe or rabbit "looks in pain" :evil:

so i got annoyed and said rabbits should always get analgesia for gut stasis, just and someone with stomach ache would take painkillers. And that they are more likely to move around, start eating, pooping etc afterwards if given painkillers

i got told off for getting too passionate! :shock::oops:

Then someone in the class said "but all that treatment would be expensive, so maybe you shouldnt give analgesia if they can do without it to keep the bills down" :evil::censored:

i dont normally swear at all, but i reallllllly had to hold my tongue on that one! how could you withhold painkillers on the basis that it costs money??? and if you're going to pay for metaclop, drip, etc then painkillers are hardly going to make much difference to the bill!

and you wonder why there arent enough rabbits savvy vets???!!!!!

:shock::shock::shock:

Well done you for standing your ground though! I can't believe they teach that!

Just out of interest, how much training to you get on exotics? How many hours per year for example?

OMG if that is what vets/nurses are taught what chance do the poor bunnies have of getting the right treatment.:cry:

As has been said on here before something seriously needs to be done about the training vets are given, how can they be expected to know what to do if they aren't given the correct info. I hope Alison gets a response to her letter soon.

well done to you for speaking up, someone needs to give our buns a voice:)

yeah well someone has to!!

Exotics = small mammals (rabbits, gunieas, rats etc), snakes, tortoises, reptiles, amphibians and birds

This year (pre-clinical) we get 2 hours of problem solving every few weeks, plus one dissection/post mortem in chickens, pigeon, fish, rabbit and some studies on x-rays. we also get one handling session on each of chickens, small mammals and reptiles

next year (year 1 of 3 clinical) we get clinical case scenarios on exotics, more handling and restraint techniques, pratice basic procedures on cadavers etc

Final year (year 3 of 3 clinical) we get actual cases in various clinics, and can do elective modules if we want

i really think we should get more, especially now rabbits are so popular but dont work like cats and dogs!!

How ridiculous, I look forward to seeing what if anything the RCVS have to say about my letter to them on the very issue of veterinary training for rabbits! This would be a good example to cite back to them, depending on what they reply!

How ridiculous, I look forward to seeing what if anything the RCVS have to say about my letter to them on the very issue of veterinary training for rabbits! This would be a good example to cite back to them, depending on what they reply!

Their reply will be very interesting. I am wondering if the no pain relief is the individual tutor's opinion or if it is what is advocated on the curriculum?

Well done you for speaking up.

We all know rabbits will endeavour to hide their pain so not looking like they're in pain isn't really anything to go by is it.

Well done Vikki for standing up for yourself.I hope you come to this part of the country when your qualified,we need some bunny savvy vets

Well done Vikki for standing up for yourself.I hope you come to this part of the country when your qualified,we need some bunny savvy vets

Well my parents home is in Gloucestershire and i love the West Country so who knows.....

my housemates are in final year studying for their final year right now. when Phoenix went off her food recently (for an hour lol!) they both admitted they had no real idea what to do! went to get their notes and it said metaclop or zantac , fluid therapy and suggested metacam but didnt mention hidden pain in rabbits etc.

If you take all of the relevant electives in final year you do get a decent education into these things, plus better handling techniques and surgery etc, but they are optional electives so many vets will graduate into general small animal practice with only the basics, and hardly that in my opinion.

So i get branded by my classmates as some over-jealous bunny owning nutter rather than someone with a genuine concern and medical basis for my opinion!

Just feel like having a rant - i had our "exotics" module review today, that includes rabbits, and we were discussing gut stasis. All good with diet improvements, metaclop etc but then the TUTOR said that analgesia probably wasnt really needed unless severe or rabbit "looks in pain" :evil:

:shock::shock::shock: ......and at what point would that be observed during a 10 minute consultation, when the poor bunny is laid out at deaths door :roll:

Its a bit ridiculous tho ay? they aren't exotic, they're probably indiginous to the British Isles, and to lump them in with reptiles etc is just daft!

good grief...I think in honeys last stasis bill the metcacam was the cheapest drug she had and I now have bottles of the stuff! OK there are times when is is not suitable to be given but unless specifically told by the vet not to give it then I'd always rather give it to be safer than sorry.

good grief...I think in honeys last stasis bill the metcacam was the cheapest drug she had and I now have bottles of the stuff! OK there are times when is is not suitable to be given but unless specifically told by the vet not to give it then I'd always rather give it to be safer than sorry.

i got charged £7 for a shot of 0.04ml at my vets :shock::shock:

thinking ill be asking for the prescription and getting my own if Alvin needs some on Thursday :lol::lol:

I don't know what they would think of our bunnies, we are currently getting through a 180ml bottle of metacam every couple of weeks :shock:

I don't know what they would think of our bunnies, we are currently getting through a 180ml bottle of metacam every couple of weeks :shock:

ouch. Donna our local vet (608 in solihull) charges £4.4 for a metacam inj and £9.27 for a small bottle to give you are rough idea. The bottle lasts for 6 months.

ouch. Donna our local vet (608 in solihull) charges £4.4 for a metacam inj and £9.27 for a small bottle to give you are rough idea. The bottle lasts for 6 months.

yeah my moms cats metacam bottle was just under a tenner, i wont be paying £42 for the cattle one (which i think they used as the injection and thats why it was sooooooo expensive for such a tiny amount)

i dont mind paying £7 really it was amazing how fast he bounced back, just wish they was wrong about the teeth needing done lol

Back