• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting my bunny a friend...

elaine84

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, I'm new here and have a question!

I have a 4yr old male rabbit (Rafferty) and recently we've been thinking of getting him a friend. He gets a lot of attention from us all and is constantly licking me and wanted fuss. He has a lovely temperament and is never angry etc.
He doesn't seem lonely but I don't want him to miss out on experiencing rabbit company.
I asked the vet about getting him neutered as I've read this is best to do when getting another, but the vet said it's higher risk cos of his age (best to neuter them before 1yr old), and i'm so worried about having it done and if anything went wrong i would never forgive myself, so i'd rather not get him a friend if it means he'd have to undergo 'unnecessary' surgery.
basically my question is, would it be ok to get a female rabbit that has already been neutered (ie from a rescue) - or even a male who has been neutered - and not have to have Rafferty neutered?
i know the female wouldn't get pregnant, but would he constantly be harrassing her or just every so often? the vet also said at his age his behaviour will pretty much be ingrained in him so even if neutered he will still hump another one! will they be able to relax together, just grooming etc?

he is friends with our dog (who's very old now) and sometimes gets 'excited' but not that often, sometimes they just lay together.

please give me some advice, it's pretty much a toss-up between no friend, or a friend and not being neutered.
thanks in advance :)

If you are planning to pair up your male rabbit with another rabbit you would strongly be advised to get him neutered this would enable you to pair him up with another rabbit. With any neuter there are risks, however these can be minimised by getting an experienced vet.

Many of the vets rescues use are used to neutering rabbits of all ages including those that are much older than 4 years old, by using an experienced vet you will reduce the problems associated with neutering. Ensuring that your rabbit is in tip top condition also helps.

Male / female bondings are a lot more relaible than single sexed bondings. Once your male has been neutered a rescue will be able to assist you finding a girl friend for him. Many rescues will also help you with bonding your rabbit to one of theirs.

Many of the vets rescues use are used to neutering rabbits of all ages including those that are much older than 4 years old, by using an experienced vet you will reduce the problems associated with neutering.

That's what I was gonna say, but someone much more knowledgeable and experienced beat me to it! Rescues take on buns of all ages, and as far as I know it's generally policy to neuter, unless there's a reason not to (e.g. other health issues). :D

Welcome to the forum, and well done for doing such thorough research! Your bun will love you for it :)

thanks, i think i will have to get him neutered, i'm just really scared/worried!
so rabbits are generally happier in pairs then? i just want to make him happy, and rescue a bunny in the process :)
he never seems sad but i think he would love a play mate.

Sooty had to have an emergency spay when she was 6yrs old due to a Uterine bleed. She was absolutely fine :D The male neuter is a much simpler and quicker op.

I am a little surprised a vet has said this I would assume that he aint a proper rabbit vet. Most vets neuter any age now obv there is greater risk the older they get as with any ga but I wouldnt worry about a 4 year old thats still young. Mine were 1 1/2ish when they were done (I was told not to get a rabbit over 1 bacause you cant train them they're too old:shock: so I went around being picky and in end went with mine anyway as youll see from our tricks www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com nyour never too old to learn new things)
I suppose if a rabbit was 12 then I may consider not risking it but a healthy 4 year old seems fine!
Also if you didnt get yours done he would constantly be trying to bonk the other one and remember the other one who will have been done wont be in mood, constant headache. So this mainly leads to fights!
If you are getting a rescue take your bun with you so he can choose his friend, buns dont go from appearance so you may choose the cutest bun but your lil boy may not like that bun. If he chooses his own friend (blind date) your guaranteed no squabbles well majour ones anyway. My boy choose his gal and we have had them 2 1/2 years with not even a tiff!

My female was almost 7 when she was spayed, and as someone said, males are done a lot easier, and my female was absolutely fine, so there shouldnt be any problems with yours!

they lives longer when they are neuter / spay. Bonding should be male + female. It's easier than the same sex bonding

Back