• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dwarf Rabbits

Hiya,

I just have a general question about breeds. When do you classify a rabbit as a dwarf rabbit? Nosey is a lionhead rabbit and weights about 1.5 kg, would he be a dwarf? Just wondering because you can different food for dwarfs.

Thanks in advance!
Anne

Last edited:
From what I understand, a lionhead is just a cross between a netherland dwarf and a longer furred bunny, like an angora.

This is what I've found on wikipedia:

"The Lionhead rabbit is thought to have originated in Belgium. It is reported to have been produced by breeders trying to breed a long coated dwarf rabbit by crossing a miniature Swiss Fox and a Belgian dwarf. The Lionhead seemed to have been more popular than the long coated dwarf, and so breeders carried on this trend in breeding them intentionally, and so came what we know today as the Lionhead rabbit."

So I would say yes, lionheads could be classified as a dwarf breed. While Eddison is only a half lionhead/half netherland dwarf, he is still smaller than my mini lop, Milo, at 2.1kg. Definitely dwarf material. :)

Your bun can eat either :) Just pick the range with the best nutrientional information. Our four are tiny rabbits (ranging from 0.7 to 1.6) and they all have normal adult feed. If your bun finds the pellets to large to chew (which i doubt if our tiny nethie manages) then the dwarf pellets would be easier for him :D

Back