• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trying to avoid a lump from myxo. vaccine

Charys

Mama Doe
Last time Mint had his Myxo. vaccine he developed a huge lump at the base of his ear - where they did the last 10%. This lump has taken literally 6 months to reduce in size and you can still slightly feel it now. So, today the vet has tried a different way to do his vaccine - the last 10 % in neck scruff and an anti-inflammatory injection first to try and reduce the chances of a big lump forming. He was very brave though !!!!! :D Anyone else had similar issues and has this worked ?

No personal experience but i have seen it before and it is a common occurence. Do you know that he has never actually been exposed to myxi? may be having a greater reaction than normal if he already has antibodies? i've never heard of giving anti-inflams first before, hope it works!

Well, I don't believe he has been exposed - BUT - the vet thinks that he is most likely 1/2 wild. Two vets have seen him now and both have independently said this, due to his markings (he is steel coloured but has the same kind of wild colour changes over his body), his weight and size (only 1 .2 kgs at fully grown ) and skin thickness. When he has had his injection the vet said that his skin was very thick, which is usually a wild rabbit occurrence. He couldn't get immunity genetically though could he - well certainly not from a father ?!

Our lot had there myxo today and Spice had the problem of too thin skin so the vet talked me through how she was going to purposly blister Spice in order to get the fluid in her. I was a bit unsure but I trust the vet so let it happen. The other 3 had big beautiful ears and wern't such a worry hehe. I'm sure the last time we went they had it all in their scruffs but i can see how its easier for a vet to do it in the ear so as long as Spice is ok I don't mind.:)

massaging the area every few hours is good for VHD might be ok for mixi. Perhaps also asking the vet to inject the last 10% into the skin on the scruff of her neck rather than ear. experienced vets should be able to do this.

whoops - saw she already had.....try the massage though, it helps to move the vaccine away from the initial site.

Last time Mint had his Myxo. vaccine he developed a huge lump at the base of his ear - where they did the last 10%. This lump has taken literally 6 months to reduce in size and you can still slightly feel it now. So, today the vet has tried a different way to do his vaccine - the last 10 % in neck scruff and an anti-inflammatory injection first to try and reduce the chances of a big lump forming. He was very brave though !!!!! :D Anyone else had similar issues and has this worked ?

Had two rabbits who both developed squash ball sized lumps after their first myxomatosis vaccination. I know they hadn't been vaccinated before they came to live with me, so, as Vikki has said they most probably had been exposed to the virus at some point, and had already produced antibodies. NSAIDS prior to second vaccine made no difference, in fact the reaction was more pronounced.

Back