• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to stop Barley scratching VHD jab reaction

Sugarbunny

Warren Scout
Not only is my poor dwarf lop Barley still recovering from failed bonding injuries, he has also had a bad reaction to his VHD jab which he had a week ago. I found out on the forum how the VHD vaccine can cause an allergic reaction where scabbing occurs (luckily he hasn't got the 'limp' some people report).

Unfortunatley he has been biting at his skin on his back an pulling the fur out. We took him back to the vet, who gave him an anti-inflammatory injection and put some cream on, but that seems to have worn off and now he is back to scratching. (She didn't supply us with the cream to use at home). I don't know how to stop him doing it and it looks a bit raw again now. The vet suggested using sudocrem, but it says on the packet that it shouldn't be injested, which is exactly what he will be doing!:roll:

Please can anyone suggest anything to stop him scratching and irritating it?

Poor lad :cry:

Perhaps some more anti-inflammatories would help calm things down.
In my experience putting creams onto the sore skin just draws the Bun's attention to it even more. But if the inflammation can be reduced by using systemic meds it might help.

I would only consider the use of a Buster Collar as a very last resort.

When my bridge bun Goofball had her surgery, there was the stitched wound. Although it's internally stitched, I put a big patch of non-sterile pad on it. They are about 4 in. x 3 in.

I then put non-stick "green" painter tape around the pad, wrap around her fur on all for corners (cross diagonal). They are non stick, as long as you remove them once a day, it doesn't stick to her skin, not to mention I warp it around her fur. (the stickiness will become permanent if I
don't touch it for 15 days)

The method works perfectly. The pad is so large, she can't dig thru the pad and touch the wound. And if 1 pad is not large enough, get a 2nd one. A big box of 100 is only like $15.

Now, supposedly, they said the wound needs to breathe, but it will still sealed w/ the pad and prevent you a case of infection.

Back