• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

myxo bun

kelly1

Warren Scout
well i have just done it.My chap found a baby wildy with very bad myxo in the middle of the road,i rushed it to my vet who said the best thing to do is to have it pts.I couldnt keep it as i have 2 bunbs myself else i would of gave it my best shot of helping it,i feel so bad to have had it pts.

well i have just done it.My chap found a baby wildy with very bad myxo in the middle of the road,i rushed it to my vet who said the best thing to do is to have it pts.I couldnt keep it as i have 2 bunbs myself else i would of gave it my best shot of helping it,i feel so bad to have had it pts.

You did absolutely the right thing.
For the Wildie and for your own Rabbits.

xx

she said that even if i did keep him and gave him drugs that the visus never leaves their system and it could all flare up again in a matter of weeks/months,is this right?

she said that even if i did keep him and gave him drugs that the visus never leaves their system and it could all flare up again in a matter of weeks/months,is this right?

Unvaccinated Rabbits, wild or not, have very little chance of surviving Myxomatosis. It is usually a secondary bacterial pneumonia that causes death. Wildies usually succumb to a predator attack.

Keeping a wildie in captivity would cause him/her extreme fear and stress. Bad enough for a healthy wildie, but even worse for a sick one. He/she would not know you were trying to help, he/she would just be terrified.
IMO PTS was the only option to prevent further suffering.
You have been very compassionate.

Sorry i dont know if it can flare up, im sure someone else can help.

But you did the right thing, your two could have caught it which would be even harder if you had to have them out down. And the bun might not have even survived anyway...it would have needed a lot of treatment, and then wouldnt have been able to be released into the wild.

I know its hard, but it was the right thing for the animal, if it was really bad chances are it wouldnt have survived and was probably in pain! One of my older buns had to be put to sleep as she had stomach cancer not so long ago, and as hard as it was, i knew it had to be done, its not fair letting them suffer for our own sakes. Try and take comfort in knowing that at least it was put to sleep humanily because of you, rather than left to die in pain, and youv probably saved more wild rabbits from catching it!

im welling up now just thinking about it,it did have it really bad,the whole of the right eye was scabbed completely over and very swollen,part of the other eye was the same,cut to the top of the ear and swollen nose,was breathing though his mouth.i have never had to have an animal pts before,and god it hurts.he was so tiny aswell.

When I was a teen and didn't know better we had a unvaccinated bun get myxi. We tried everything to help her to no avail. Never would I ever put a bun through that hell again, secondary infections set in and she was eventually pts because of pnemonia. Her suffering was unbearable to watch. :cry:

Sometimes the kindest thing to do really is let them go to the bridge.

Again, if he was tiny and so bad he probably wouldnt have pulled through, and you would have put him through the stress of having things forced into his mouth etc which he definately wouldnt be used to, which would have been worse for the poor thing.

Iv only ever had this bun pts, luckily my buns before her hadnt had problems, all died of old age! It was a shock to me, i had no idea she had stomach cancer, went from one day fine to next clearly not! So i was not expecting the vet to say put her to sleep, there and then it was done, floods of tears then had to drive home with my little dead bun in the back...It was awful, but i know it was the right thing for her, as hard as it was for me.

The buns in a better place now, not suffering, knowing you helped it, please remember that!

i am trying to think that ive done the best thing but its so hard,when bunnys die normally they are already dead so there is nothing you can do,but when they are still alive there is always a tiny bit of hope.The woman said it would cost loads to nurse them,money is never an issue to me where animals are involved,no matter how much it is.sorry to go on but this had just really upset me.you have all made me feel slightly better about it.

i am trying to think that ive done the best thing but its so hard,when bunnys die normally they are already dead so there is nothing you can do,but when they are still alive there is always a tiny bit of hope.The woman said it would cost loads to nurse them,money is never an issue to me where animals are involved,no matter how much it is.sorry to go on but this had just really upset me.you have all made me feel slightly better about it.

To attempt treatment would have prolonged the wildies agony.
He/she is pain free and at peace now.
It was the very kindest thing to do and I would have done exactly the same thing in your situation even if I had no other Rabbits to consider.

Back