• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do wild babies wean earlier than domestics?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
My little wildie is now about 30 days old (I think), and has lost interest in milk feeds. He'll suckle about 2-3 mls twice a day, but seems more interested in pellets. He's lively and active and has a full belly...although he has developed a skin condition over the last few days (which I'm hoping isn't ringworm!).

This is in huge contrast to the domestic babies I cared for, who drank huge quantities of milk up to about 9 or 10 weeks old!

Any opinions? :?

Hi :wave:. I've got 4 wildies that I hand reared from 5days old. They were fully weaned at 6 weeks, but I wouldn't worry if the little one is starting to wean now as long as hes eating and drinking on his own. Just gradually cut out the milk feeds :).

Hi :wave:. I've got 4 wildies that I hand reared from 5days old. They were fully weaned at 6 weeks, but I wouldn't worry if the little one is starting to wean now as long as hes eating and drinking on his own. Just gradually cut out the milk feeds :).

Wow, 4 wildies...well done you! How did you do it?

:love::love: Well done:D:D:D

I got two buns that were orphaned at 2 weeks - by 4 weeks they were fully weaned - they are my lionhead/english spot crosses Sugar & Spice:D

Thank you :D. It was really hard work. I'm a vet nurse and they were brought into the surgery by 2 builders that had found the doe dead on the road near the babies nest. It used to take about 1 1/2 hrs to feed them 4-5 times a day! I was exhausted. I was so glad when they weaned themselves :D. We kept them and they are now 1 1/2 yrs old but still very small but with lots of attitude :D.
Well done with your little one.

Wild rabbits are meant to wean about 4 weeks. Scamp was still guzzling at 8 weeks though and I had to wean him by watering down the milk and gradually reducing it. Replacement milk isn't as good as rabbit milk though so it wouldn't surprise me if handreared wild rabbits wean later.

As long as he's eating enough solids then I would go with what ever he wants milk wise. You can make him drink it if he's full up :)

Back