• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly bunny? Boxing and grunting

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
:cry: Beau only ate about half his pellets last night, and has just picked at his breakfast, though he is still eating hay and pooing. After last night (had to grab him, wrap him in a towel and force feed him baytril and metacam) he hates me :cry: every time I go near him he grunts at me and boxes me. He'll let me stroke his nose for a bit, but then just starts grunting and boxing again. Do you think there might be something wrong, or do you think he's just annoyed with me?

Last edited:
Well he won't eat, he won't let me near him and no1 likes me cos no1 has replied to my post. I'm going back to bed with some chocolate and some tissues, I feel rubbish and wish I'd never got up. Can I start the day over?

I know how you feel hun - Have bin to the vets this morning with my first ever case of bloat and am feeling really low and worried sick.

Sending vibes for your bun, hope he is ok. Might be worth a trip to the vets if you're worried.

My bun seems to "hate" me when shes on medicines. Shes on metcam and baytril too at the moment! She NEVER uses her bedroom, until its medicine time and she runs and hides, she wont come to me, and even when i feed her esp her favourite veg she runs away. She also grunts, goes to attack me sometimes and stomps her back legs! Shes done it everytime shes been on meds, but after a week of being off them shes my friend again! Try and not worry too much, im sure your bun will be ok with you when this is all over.

I have heard baytril can put them off their food, my vet said that to me, luckily mine have all been ok, but thats could maybe be a possibility? Have you seen the bun eat any veg or hay? How are the poos, normal?

Maybe phone your vet up, my vets let me instead of having to waste time taking them in for no reason! Is your vet open tomorrow? If so, and its eating hay and youv phoned your vet and they say not to worry, then you could take the bun tomorrow if no improvement. The main thing is its pooing, even if you cant see it eating it means it is when your not around, so its guts are going! Monitor poos during the day, if they stop then try get a later appointment...

sounds like alvin on a normal day hun, probably just dont like being force fed drugs is all and he aint letting you have the oportunity to do it again

Thanks guys!!!

I don't think there's anything wrong with him, he's not up to much, but he has now eaten most of last night's dinner and this morning's veggies, and he only grunts when I go near him (was fine wiv my OH when he came home for lunch :roll: ).

As you say Donna, I don't think he's not doing anything cos he's in pain or feeling ill, he's just hiding from nasty mummy in case she gets that syringe out again!!

If I stays in here you can't gets me mama, :p

really feel for you - trying (and failing:() with the baytril for eric made me feel awful - he wouldn't come anywhere near me for days, not even for a nose rub:(

Has he been nuetered? grunting and grumps are often worse pre-op.

Pasha is normally pretty grumpy after a visit to the vets, and meds do seem to affect him far more than our others - so it may just be a mood.

Main thing, is to keep monitoring food and water intake and poo / peeing at the other end. The fact that he has eaten his food later on this morning is obviously a good thing, just keep a close eye on him.

Martin

Last edited:
Bunnies are so grumpy sometimes. If it is the medication can you try putting it on some of his food or veggies? Mine are currently getting their panacur on broccoli or carrots as Peach was getting herself in such a state. It really does help them calm down plus they can't hold it in their mouth and spit it out later which mine have down to a T! :shock:

really feel for you - trying (and failing:() with the baytril for eric made me feel awful - he wouldn't come anywhere near me for days, not even for a nose rub:(

Awwww, thanks hun, that makes me feel better :) so there's hope yet!!

Mart - yes he's neutered, back in february, even before the wound he used to have days where he'd not eat much and just sit in a corner, and I'd worry, but I think he's maybe a moody bunny!!

Lostunicorn - Have just put his last batch of baytril on his veggies, fingers crossed!!! :thumb:

Back