• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hot sheds beware

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Please be carefull if you house your rabbits in sheds with no attached runs if this hot weather my shed was warm at 8am this morning its far too hot for the rabbits to be in,but they have runs in the garden they will be in untill 9pm tonight

Hmm :? Do you have any meshed windows in the shed?

We have a meshed window in ours. Even though Ronnie and Lola have an attached run, 80% of the time they choose to sit in the shed :lol: Hope they will be ok :? *goes to check on them*

xXx

i know i've been worrying myself about this i need to make a meesh door for my buns till i can afford to make the runs. luckily it doesn't seem too warm over here.

Hmm :? Do you have any meshed windows in the shed?

We have a meshed window in ours. Even though Ronnie and Lola have an attached run, 80% of the time they choose to sit in the shed :lol: Hope they will be ok :? *goes to check on them*

xXx

No i do have a window that opens and i leave the door open too,but its still very hot

I'm very lucky that my shed is on the North side of the house so never gets full sun and is quite cool, even so, it still gets warm in there, i can't imagine the heat in some wooden garden sheds.

Remember that insulation will help keep a shed cooler in summer as well as warmer in winter too, so may be worth looking in to. If you've got electricity (out of reach of the buns obviously!) you could try a fan - remember it will only circulate the air though, as bunnies don't lose heat by sweating like we do, but aiming the fan across a wet towel (or even better, stick the towel in the freezer for a bit) will cool the air down as it's blown across the cool surface.

Fortuantely ours both have attached runs and I also removed the perspex in both and just put mesh over so there's always a through draft too. Definitely one to be careful of though. They can get soo warm if sun shines on them all day.

I've got a couple of battery powered cage fans that I used to have in the car for the dogs. Just wondering about attaching one of those up high in the sheds. They're not mega powerful but might help?

I've got a couple of battery powered cage fans that I used to have in the car for the dogs. Just wondering about attaching one of those up high in the sheds. They're not mega powerful but might help?

I got some but the rabbits were scared of them

The buns was hot inside aswell this morning, but they chose to sit in the run anyway. The roof of the kennel is covered in the tarpoulin that covers the front of the kennel in winter, so the roof is usually nice and cool, which hopefully means that the inside of the run should be a bit cooler.

Fans work on humans by making our sweat evaporate faster (it moves the air that's just absorbs some sweat move away, for fresh air to come along and absorb some more), most animals don't sweat so fans are a bit of a gimmick. They MAY help by circulating the air, but this means you need a way of introducing cool air to be circulated. Air coolers work by blowing air across iceblocks, so you can mimick this with a fan by blowing the air across a cool surface (cold water, ice, etc) but if it's justin a closed shed without much ventilation and nothing to cool the air down, or outside is hotter/the same temperature, it won't really do much in terms of cooling down the animals

I don't have an attatched run to my shed, but there's massive mesh panals on the front which should allow enough air in?? The sun was shining on there kennel first thing this morning, but it's shifted now... and the kennel is in the shade under the trees.

I would put them in there run all day, but as I'm not in I don't really trust it :(

xx

My lot's kennel only gets the sun in the morning and then is in constant shade. I'm going to start putting iced bottles of water around it though so the buns can lay near it if they feel hot.

You could try a light coloured roller blind if you have a perspex window, that should help quite a bit but still let some light in. Or a white pillowcase over as a temporary measure.

My shed has a tarmac roof and its boiling in there today - all the cats are snoozing in there.

I was worried about the weather this morning too - At 8am it was boiling outside! My two have a run attached to their hutch, and I soaked a bedsheet in cold water and draped it over the run this morning before I left for work. I also put both their ice pods in the run in case they want to lie on them. Their run is on paving slabs too, and I've noticed they do come down and lay on the slabs instead of in the hutch when it's warm. Their hutch does get the sun in the morning, but by 1-2pm it's in the shade as the sun has moved round, so I'm hoping they'll be ok. Hubby is back from work at 2pm so I've asked him to check on them and soak the sheet in cool water again if needed

bumping this up just incase people missed it yesterday...

very hot today!!

Our shed is insulated and we have also meshed one of the windows. We have kept the perspex to put back in in the winter if need be :) I must say yesterday, our shed was quite cool compared to the foster buns hutches :( they were cooking in them as theyre in direct sun in the morning :(

xXx

Back