• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unwell rabbit

Sarah_Jane

Alpha Buck
Hi All,

Yesterday I noticed that one of my rabbits, Molly wasn't too excited when I gave her tea in the evening, so I watched her and noticed she didnt eat anything but was laying down or just sitting there. This morning when I gave them their breakfast she didnt touch the hay or pellets so I am concerned about her, but I did see her drink some water. This morning I was feeding her veg which she ate, but is off the hay and pellets...do rabbits go off food?

Thanks

When a rabbit doesnt eat it can be a serious situation....I would advise you take your bunny to see a vet today.

If a rabbit goes into stasis(when their gut stops ) and they stop eating it can be fatal quite quickly.

It could also be a sign that her teeth need attention too.

Hmmm sounds like it could be the start of stasis to me, or there is some dental issue which is causing her pain and so she's limiting what she eats according to texture etc. Either way I would definitely get her to the vets today for a check over esp. as its coming to the weekend x

Hi All,

Yesterday I noticed that one of my rabbits, Molly wasn't too excited when I gave her tea in the evening, so I watched her and noticed she didnt eat anything but was laying down or just sitting there. This morning when I gave them their breakfast she didnt touch the hay or pellets so I am concerned about her, but I did see her drink some water. This morning I was feeding her veg which she ate, but is off the hay and pellets...do rabbits go off food?

Thanks

Hello

Your Rabbit needs to see a Vet this morning. 'Going off food' is not 'normal' and with Rabbits is indicative of a health problem.
If a Rabbit stops eating their GI tract stops working-GI Stasis. Left untreated this can be life threatening.

Your Rabbit may have problems with her teeth making eating painful. She will certainly need some pain relief ASAP.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on

I agree with the possible stasis, my dental bun goes off her food first but still eats her veg when she needs her teeth doing (its her back ones, so we cant tell until she stops eating, as she acts the same). Now i know as soon as she stops eating her food, its time for her teeth!lol

However, my vet did say SOMETIMES buns do go off their food for no reason, and aslong as theyre eating hay or veg then not to worry in the short term.

However, its definately best to get it checked out, the first time my dental bun went to the vets with her teeth i had no idea (she was eating fine, i went in as he eye started watering), and they were in a very bad state, quite long and cutting her tongue and mouth, yet she seemed fine...So its definately better to take the bun.

Hi All,

Thanks you very much for coming back to me. I have made an appointment with the vet for this afternoon, but I did take her two weeks ago for her jabs and asked the vet to check the front and back teeth, which he said were fine, I will be annoyed if they are not, but I would rather it be her teeth and her gut.

I have split Molly and Charlie up so I can monitor her litter tray. I have noticed she has been to the toliet, is it worth taken a sample with me?

Thanks xx

It cant do any harm, the worse theyl say is we dont need the samples, but it could help if they wanted to check for bacteria etc in them!

Hmm unlikely its the teeth then, even more reason to have the bun checked out. Saying that, did they get a good look at the back teeth? Mine fidgets so they dont get much of a look, nearly missed her teeth once because of it, they thought it was only a tiny bit over grown, when she was under they saw it was a lot worse!

Good luck at the vets, let us know what they say!

I would recommend that you do take them yes.
I hope that she is okay, my boy Pickle has just had some of his molars removed as they were causing him some pain.

Hi,
Just an update- I took Molly to the vets, and he looked at her teeth, but said he will need to put her to sleep on Monday so he could have a good look in her mouth etc and gave her an injection to numb any pain she might have which worked well as she is eating and pooing okay now.

I am really worried about leaving her tomorrow :cry:

Hi,
Just an update- I took Molly to the vets, and he looked at her teeth, but said he will need to put her to sleep on Monday so he could have a good look in her mouth etc and gave her an injection to numb any pain she might have which worked well as she is eating and pooing okay now.

I am really worried about leaving her tomorrow :cry:

I am sure you will be anxious but once her teeth are sorted out she will feel so much better.

Lots of luck for her tomorrow and please let us know how she gets on.

I'm sure she will be ok,I've had dental bunnies who needed GA's every10 weeks or so for molar burring.Yes its a worry and I could never relax until I phoned and got told all is ok come and get them when you can.
sending vibes for tomorrow

Im sure shell be fine, try and not worry. GA's for bunnys arent as 'risky' as they used to be, vets are used to doing it now.

My dental buns had them all her life, although only every 7 months normally, and shes 7 now. The last time she had it was 2 1/2 months after having her teeth done, and she wasnt eating and lost a bit of weight, yet she recovered fine.

And my other bun who was almost 7 at the time caught uterine and mammory cancer, at the same time! (i had no idea you should get them spayed, i certainly do now though!), and she had to have it all removed in one go and was under a while, yet she recovered absoultely fine from it!

Just remember to keep your bun nice and warm when she gets home as her body temp wont be right, iv found fibreplex is a must after ga with my buns as their guts slow down, so worth asking for some if you dont have any! Good luck

Thanks alot for your posts, and it has made me feel less guilty and worried about tomorrow. I was concerned as she is probably 5 years old now and if being put to sleep would be too much for her at her age.

How much do you pay for this treatment, as the vet advised it could be £150!!!

Thanks alot for your posts, and it has made me feel less guilty and worried about tomorrow. I was concerned as she is probably 5 years old now and if being put to sleep would be too much for her at her age.

How much do you pay for this treatment, as the vet advised it could be £150!!!

Vets prices do vary hugely but I would hope that for £150 you would get skull radiographs aswell as the actual GA and Dental.

Skull radioraphs are very useful to identify tooth root problems, signs of tooth root infection or osteomyelitis (infection in the bone).

They can do a "deep sedation", that's what my vet does, to do that x-ray. So it's not a GA.

And this is what you are dealing with if your vet is right

teethovergrow2.jpg

Thank you.

Molly has been fine over the weekend and is back to her normal self. I am due to take her in this morning to be put to sleep, but I was going to speak to the vet first as I would perfer to wait a few days and see how she gets on, as I really dont want to put her through it all if she doesnt need to.

Back