• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible Bloat??? - U/D back from vet/AGAIN

Julia123

Warren Veteran
Nushka is hunched and feels bloated - just waiting for my vet to open at 8am, have given her Infacol but am waiting before I give metacam as want the vet to give it by injection to make sure she gets the full amount (my vet only says give 2 drops & I'm sure this is not enough)

Anything else I can do meanwhile, she doesn't want to be touched so have avoided tummy rubs...

I've been away for 5 days and her and Bungle have been in their kennel & run combo without access to grass - let them out when I got home last night for a few hours - too much grass maybe??

What can I do??

Last edited:
I'm not Jane :oops: and probably not much help :oops: but I found that getting Sooty to drink some warm water seemed to help her.

Hope Nushka gets better very soon.

I'd just make sure she is not cold.
Even though the weather is warm the pain from bloat can cause hypothermic shock
So pop her on a heat pad and personally I'd set off for the Vets now and just turn up as an emergency

Sending vibes

xx

Back from vet, she confirmed gas and prescribed the usual cocktail of Baytril, metacam & metaclop and advised me to syringe recovery - so I'm about to start with a very watery mix.

The kennel seems really hot and Bungle won't leave her, I've put garden umbrella over the run but she is sitting inside - but is she ok to be warm then Jane?? Her temp was 101 which is slightly up, just concerned she is too warm... :?

:wave:

This may sound really silly, but my rabbit Peter had bloat that year, i didnt realise until about 9.30ish at night so too late to go vet and they wanted £50 just to see him because of the time. Which tbh i really didnt have the money. I didnt want to leave him over night i was so worried. He hadnt drank or eat all day. I have one of those herbal heat back things you put in microwave, i have irritable bowel disease and when my stomach bloats they work miracles! so i tried it on Peter, i lay him on my lap with his belly on the pack. NO JOKE, within 5 mins he nipped my leg, like a playful bite then he bit a hold in the heat pad, the wheat fell out LOL :lol: I new he was getting back to his usual self so i got him a saucer with water in it and he drank the lot and then started playing with his ball on the floor, i felt his belly and he was back to normal! ABSOULUTE MIRACLE!

I never needed to take him to the vets he was fine and never had any problems since!Get a heat pack for your rabbit they work miracles! :love:

Hi Juila,

Sending mega vibes, I have just got back from the vets myself with my first ever case of bloat and am mega worried so know how you feel. :cry:

My vet gave two different pain meds by injection, I have a gut stimulant to syringe twice daily and she also gave her plenty of fluid under the skin. I've been advised to try get her active to help disperse things, tummy rubs and plenty of fluid.

hi julia! Poor you another sick bun! Some very gentle tummy rubs and it may seem mean but chasing her round the garden and getting her moving too will help move things along.

Just got back in fropm vet again .... she has not been responding. She has had a concious x-ray but because she kept moving its not clear but it doesn't appear she has a blockage or significant amount of gas. She has had an analgesic on top of her metacam from this am as she was tooth grinding.

I've just bought some fresh pinapple and about to start syringing that with recovery and water.

Anything else??? I just can't lose another bun :cry::cry::cry:

We are due back at the vet at 10am tomorrow.

Just got back in fropm vet again .... she has not been responding. She has had a concious x-ray but because she kept moving its not clear but it doesn't appear she has a blockage or significant amount of gas. She has had an analgesic on top of her metacam from this am as she was tooth grinding.

I've just bought some fresh pinapple and about to start syringing that with recovery and water.

Anything else??? I just can't lose another bun :cry::cry::cry:

We are due back at the vet at 10am tomorrow.

Poor Nush :cry:

Personally I really would not give pineapple juice. IM(unqualified)O it has too much sugar which will only serve to exacerbate bloat and increase the risk of gut dysbiosis.

Is it her actual stomach that's bloated ?
Or is there gas in her intestines?

Has she had any fluid therapy?

Poor Nush :cry:

Personally I really would not give pineapple juice. IM(unqualified)O it has too much sugar which will only serve to exacerbate bloat and increase the risk of gut dysbiosis.

Is it her actual stomach that's bloated ?
Or is there gas in her intestines?

Has she had any fluid therapy?

Hi Jane

Thanks for responding so quickly. No she has not had fluid therapy, her hydration is fine. The vet I saw tonight was different to this morning and she felt that Nushka's tummy was not overly bloated.

I'm at a quandry with the pineapple tbh as I have pulled her back from stasis with it once before - and Gabe too the first time he had it (the second time I just fed water as directed by my vet)

AAAaaaaaarrrrghhhh !!!! What to do what to do....... ?????? what is the evidence Jane?

Hi Jane

Thanks for responding so quickly. No she has not had fluid therapy, her hydration is fine. The vet I saw tonight was different to this morning and she felt that Nushka's tummy was not overly bloated.

I'm at a quandry with the pineapple tbh as I have pulled her back from stasis with it once before - and Gabe too the first time he had it (the second time I just fed water as directed by my vet)

AAAaaaaaarrrrghhhh !!!! What to do what to do....... ?????? what is the evidence Jane?

I can only go on what me and my Vet feel about putting sugars into a bloated Rabbit or one in stasis.
I know many people do use it but tbh I think any benefit is likely to be purely due to hydration, not the enzyme in Pineapple (Bromelain)

Again I emphasise that I am only stating a personal opinion and if Nush were mine I'd be syringing a watery CC ( as long as an obstruction has been ruled out)
I would also give some Infacol.

I can only go on what me and my Vet feel about putting sugars into a bloated Rabbit or one in stasis.
I know many people do use it but tbh I think any benefit is likely to be purely due to hydration, not the enzyme in Pineapple (Bromelain)

Again I emphasise that I am only stating a personal opinion and if Nush were mine I'd be syringing a watery CC ( as long as an obstruction has been ruled out)
I would also give some Infacol.

Thanks Jane - how much Infacol - she had about 1.5ml earlier today?

With Anthony a few weeks ago we had really good success with extract of dandelion root and oral metaclopromide mixed witha small amount of pineapple juice. Its not something I have used before but nothing else had worked so the vet and I decided to give it a try.

They are both taste really nice to, so he didn't mind taking them :)

With Anthony a few weeks ago we had really good success with extract of dandelion root and oral metaclopromide mixed witha small amount of pineapple juice. Its not something I have used before but nothing else had worked so the vet and I decided to give it a try.

They are both taste really nice to, so he didn't mind taking them :)

Thanks, she had a metaclop injection this am and now I'm just about to give her 1/4 tablet crushed in recovery.... as soon as I decide on the pineapple :?

I had never heard of the Dandelion stuff before, but apparently it stimulates appertite and tastes nice to bunnies and is also completely natural :)

Where did you get it please and how much do you give?

My vet prescibed it, but you seem to be able to get it from health food places. I'm sure it is the same stuff, but best check :? Anthony had 0.2ml x 3 daily. He only weighs around 1.6kg though.

hope it can help :)

My vet prescibed it, but you seem to be able to get it from health food places. I'm sure it is the same stuff, but best check :? Anthony had 0.2ml x 3 daily. He only weighs around 1.6kg though.

hope it can help :)

Many thanks, depending on how she is tomorrow I'll pop to Holland & Barratt & have a look - if its not too much trouble are you able to give me the ingredient breakdown & % of yours please?

Many Thanks

Back