• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Angora Bunny

christina83

Warren Scout
Hello everyone, I have a lovely angora bunny called daisy.
This weekend its going to be hot, and I was just wondering how to keep her cool. Do angora bunnies need trimming or anything during the hot season.
I know it might be a silly question, but I dont want her feeling uncomfortable or anything.
If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Hiya,
I have an extremely fluffy lionhead I keep her trimmed not only to keep her cool but also to help her keep clean to reduce the risk of flystrike.

Hiya

I have had 2 long haired buns - who have wool rather than fur... somewhere I read that they cannot regulate body temperature.. feeling weather extremeties more so than standard fur buns.. I am not sure how true this is - anyone else know? Both of mine were/are indoors.

I would trim her so she looks like a sheared lamb (this is short but not bald!) then use frozen water pop bottles in front of fans to circulate and cool the air.

Bless - Angoras are such sweeties - does she have the little powder puffs at the end of her ears :wave:

Angora bunnies.

I have some cashmeres and i always clip them when the weather gets warm:)they look really cute when they have been shorn:)

I got three new bunnies about a month or so ago. Two dont have very long fur but the other has. All she is a ball of fluff her name is pom pom and realy does look like a pom pom. She is a cross breed but i realy do think she has some cashmere or angora in her. Plus she is as daft as a brush.

Just get rid of that fur, I really don't envy longhaired rabbits in the summer-time and even though I love their fluffy looks I'd rather trim them than let them melt away...:lol:

You could also take a bottle of water and freeze it until the water turns to ice and put it in her cage. I do this to my bunnies during the summer:wave:
Sometimes they also get ice in a bowl, even with frozen fruit sometimes (fruit-ice-cream! :lol: Minus the cream...)

You must make sure the hair is well groomed what ever length it is. if the hair is felt free the air can flow through it. However if it is felted up it will trap the hot air next to the skin. A tile of Marble is always nice to sit on if your feeling warm esp if it's been in the freezer;)

I have two lionheads, one has shorter fur but the other is as fluffy as anything! I think she will need to be clipped as her sister really grooms and over licks her, last week we found matts behind her ears which we cut out.

I'm guessing all I would need is a pair of sharp scissors..but also lots of patience as she isn't too happy being groomed! :shock: Any advice would help me too if possible! :D

Last edited:
I have rabbits brought to me groom all over in various states. some so bad I have to refer to the vet imediately:shock::(

I all depends on your rabbit. I never make a rabbit sit for too long at a time.

If your rabbit is uncomfortable being groomed then just cut get the knots out. Get babies nail sicssors as they have a blunt end.

if you are not confident to do it yourself contact the rwf as i believe they know groomers or ask the vet.

To prevent knots behind the ears sprinkle some baby powder in that silky hair at the base of the ears. Worked wonders with my angoras;)

You need to be plucking (when loose) or cutting away the fur every 12 weeks or so. Don't leave the rabbit in full coat indefinitely as the old hairs die and start to fall out, getting tangled up with the new coat coming through - leading to a world of problems!

Also, if the fur is loose as you rarely groom it, the bun will ingest wool when grooming itself and this will lead to wool blockage which is fatal. So you really have to get a strict regime of grooming going ASAP! You can do some preventative things re. wool block - feed bunny papaya as a treat, etc. Most angora books will give you more info on this.

Angoras were BRED to be groomed - they're usually pretty docile. Even if your bun doesn't like being picked up (which bunny does? They're prey animals) if it is an angora it should happily sit in your lap and let you groom it. Mine can sit still over an hour, even though she's generally quite wary...Once she's being groomed she's fine. They're the oldest breed of rabbit. They're used to it!

You will need to know how to turn the bun over the cut the fur on the tummy, as well. Sharon Kilfoyle and Leslie Samson''s 'Competely Angora' book is great - full of useful info. I think it's being reprinted at the moment, but you may be able to get it secondhand.

If you join the National Angora Club they can advise about grooming, too.

http://www.angorarabbits.co.uk/

Site under construction but if you join, they can help you directly.

You need to be grooming at least once a week - maybe more often. Whoever sold you this bun should have taken you through all this before they parted with it!

You can use the fibre - or sell it if good enough quality. So don;t throw it away! I'm a handspinner so I use what my bun produces - it's an expensive and valuable fibre so someone somewhere will want it.

Plucking is a good option too.

Back