• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The US is Disgusting!!

sidereus7

Mama Doe
Since I have been on this site, I have only really had a window into laws in the UK. I was just looking into the laws in the US and I am thoroughly disgusted.

Minimum Size Requirements (before August 1990)

Groups - (1.36kg - 2.27kg) -- 144 square inches (1' x 1')
(2.72kg - 3.63kg) -- 288 square inches (1.3' x 1.3')
(4.08kg +) -- 432 square inches (1.8' x 1.8')

Individual adults - (3 - 5lbs) -- 180 square inches
(6 - 8lbs) -- 360 square inches
(9 - 11lbs) -- 540 square inches
(12lbs +) -- 720 square inches

Nursing females - (3 - 5lbs) -- 576 square inches
(6 - 8lbs) -- 720 square inches
(9 - 11lbs) -- 864 square inches
(12lbs +) -- 1080 square inches (2.8' x 2.8x)

Minimum Size Requirements (after August 1990)

<2kg - 1.5 square feet
2 - 4kg - 3.0 square feet
4 - 5.4kg - 4.0 square feet
5.4kg + - 5.0 square feet

(I only converted the first couple lines to metric, at least so you guys could have a frame of reference)

This is the website I pulled this info from: http://www.animallaw.info/administrative/adusawaregc.htm

I am sick to my stomach reading this. It is absolutely appalling. I really hope that I am wrong interpreting the laws written out here, but I saw no mention of attached runs. There is nothing about exercise. It said water dishes should be cleaned once every two weeks!! And that cages should be cleaned out once a week!

I just... wow. :censored: wow.

I think I have a new mission in life. :evil:

If it's any consolation, I don't think that animal welfare laws are always enforced in the UK. Rabbits are still kept in tiny cages at the bottom of the garden. :(

I would presume you are looking at the legal minimums for commercially housed rabbits. That's a totally different ball game. The UK laws are very similar:

In cages
Doe and litter to 5 weeks of age 0.56 m2 total area
Doe and litter to 8 weeks of age 0.74 m2 total area
Rabbits 5 to 12 weeks of age 0.07 m2 per rabbit
Rabbits 12 weeks and over

(other than those used for breeding)
(multiple occupation cages)
0.18 m2 per rabbit
Adult does and bucks for breeding 0.56 m2 per rabbit

In hutches
Doe and litter to 5 weeks of age 0.75 m2 total area
Doe and litter to 8 weeks of age 0.93 m2 total area
Rabbits 5 to 12 weeks of age 0.009 m2 per rabbit
Adults does and bucks for breeding 0.75 m2 per rabbit

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/farmed/othersps/rabbits/pb0080/rabcode.htm#5

These are not the same as animal welfare groups suggested minimum requirements for domestic pets. If you look at those I imagine you'll find the US is comparative to the UK.

I would presume you are looking at the legal minimums for commercially housed rabbits. That's a totally different ball game. The UK laws are very similar:

In cages
Doe and litter to 5 weeks of age 0.56 m2 total area
Doe and litter to 8 weeks of age 0.74 m2 total area
Rabbits 5 to 12 weeks of age 0.07 m2 per rabbit
Rabbits 12 weeks and over

(other than those used for breeding)
(multiple occupation cages)
0.18 m2 per rabbit
Adult does and bucks for breeding 0.56 m2 per rabbit

In hutches
Doe and litter to 5 weeks of age 0.75 m2 total area
Doe and litter to 8 weeks of age 0.93 m2 total area
Rabbits 5 to 12 weeks of age 0.009 m2 per rabbit
Adults does and bucks for breeding 0.75 m2 per rabbit

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/farmed/othersps/rabbits/pb0080/rabcode.htm#5

These are not the same as animal welfare groups suggested minimum requirements for domestic pets. If you look at those I imagine you'll find the US is comparative to the UK.

That's terribly unfortunate, as I'm assuming pet shops and things would only adhere to commercial regulation, not RSPCA suggestions.

Also, I can't understand the mentality that smaller rabbits are put in smaller cages. If anything, I've seen smaller rabbits be far more hyper and be requiring of larger spaces.

And 1.5' is not enough for even my nethie and mini-lop to lay out comfortably. It's just so disappointing.

Can the RSPCA revoke animals based on these cage sizes in a domestic setting in the UK?

I too disagree with the theory that smaller rabbit = smaller cage.

Tinkerbell, a Nethie, was the most active rabbit that I ever owned and also the smallest!

Back