• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please look at my bonding pen!

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
Peter is all back to normal today after yesterdays worry so I am going to go ahead with bonding tomorrow.

I have set up the bonding pen using 4 of the run panels from my hexagonal run. I havent put anything in it yet. I'm not sure what I need! Obviously water and hay and a litter tray but 1 or 2 bowls/bottles/trays!?!

Help! Please take a look and tell me what you think?
May2009018-2.jpg

Peter is all back to normal today after yesterdays worry so I am going to go ahead with bonding tomorrow.

I have set up the bonding pen using 4 of the run panels from my hexagonal run. I havent put anything in it yet. I'm not sure what I need! Obviously water and hay and a litter tray but 1 or 2 bowls/bottles/trays!?!

Help! Please take a look and tell me what you think?
May2009018-2.jpg

If it were me, I wouldn't use a food bowl to start with as I would scatter the food to try and prevent any fighting over it. I don't use a litter tray in the early stages of bonding as I have found that some buns get territorial over it.

Good luck :)

I would put a bottle and either end so that they have easy access.

I always use a litter tray but remove it if any of the buns are territorial with it. I don't use a bowl apart from to put their daily allowance of pellets in and these are given slowly over the course of the day.

I never put a litter tray in there and I would put a large bowl in there with the food in so they can both get their heads in :)

Hi Becky.

I'd probably start off by just putting them both in and see how they get on.

They will need to stay in the pen for a good few days anyway, so they will definitely need a litter tray unless you want a very messy and soggy floor.

As there is no door so you can't get to them, you will need a way to stop them from fighting should it occur, so you should have a long handled broom or similar to put between them if it kicks off. Alternatively you can hold a towel between them or even put a towel over one of them if it does get to a fighting stage.

Chasing is okay of course as long as there is no blood, injury. You might well see some fur though, and have close watch on Mopsy's ears for any cuts. If this happens then you might want to reconsider a bond.

I personally do add a litter tray normally, but the last bond that I started, one of the buns was guarding it so we moved them onto a neutral bit of grass in a very small run so that the defensive bun couldn't do this. This seemed to work and the three buns are now very much in love. I added the litter tray back a few hours later.

I agree with Erin and actually sprinkle the pellets; using a bowl can sometimes (not always) lead to a problem if they both want to get their snouts in the small space and don't like being so close to each other whilst eating.

If you get stuck, don't forget, you can always give me a shout.

Good luck missus.

Hi Becky.

I'd probably start off by just putting them both in and see how they get on.

They will need to stay in the pen for a good few days anyway, so they will definitely need a litter tray unless you want a very messy and soggy floor.

As there is no door so you can't get to them, you will need a way to stop them from fighting should it occur, so you should have a long handled broom or similar to put between them if it kicks off. Alternatively you can hold a towel between them or even put a towel over one of them if it does get to a fighting stage.

Chasing is okay of course as long as there is no blood, injury. You might well see some fur though, and have close watch on Mopsy's ears for any cuts. If this happens then you might want to reconsider a bond.

I personally do add a litter tray normally, but the last bond that I started, one of the buns was guarding it so we moved them onto a neutral bit of grass in a very small run so that the defensive bun couldn't do this. This seemed to work and the three buns are now very much in love. I added the litter tray back a few hours later.

I agree with Erin and actually sprinkle the pellets; using a bowl can sometimes (not always) lead to a problem if they both want to get their snouts in the small space and don't like being so close to each other whilst eating.

If you get stuck, don't forget, you can always give me a shout.

Good luck missus.

Thank you Helen and everyone else!

I have a broom at the ready! I will put 2 water bottles in and sprinkle pellets when its time. I think I will watch them for a bit before putting a litter tray in. Am worried about Mopsy's ears though. I really hope she will be ok.

Back