• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sore hocks - new skin treatment

ariadne

Warren Scout
Just noticed Scratch has got sore hocks again, I was using surgical spirit which the vet recommended but they've come back again and he hates the stuff as it clearly stings. HRN recommend using 'New Skin' which sounds fantastic, anyone got any experience of using this on rabbits?

When my old bun Daisy had quite bad sore hocks, my vet said that I should get Sudocrem from Boots which I did and it worked brilliantly.

Please never put surgical spirit on a sore hock lesion. If you want to find out why, put some in a cut you have. surgical spirit is used to harden unbroken skin so may have a place in a healed lesion. But it is unbelievably painful in broken skin
goodluck

I used it for a while then stopped using it because it was clearly very painful, I'm surprised the vet said about using it really.

I love the sudocrem idea, never heard of that before. Just wondered about this new skin though as it also acts as a barrier.

Please never put surgical spirit on a sore hock lesion. If you want to find out why, put some in a cut you have. surgical spirit is used to harden unbroken skin so may have a place in a healed lesion. But it is unbelievably painful in broken skin
goodluck

Agree 100 %

I would not use New Skin either as it too is very painful when applied.
I use Sudocrem, Aloe Vera Gel or Flamazine (prescription only)

Last edited:
F10 barrier cream is another alternative that is non prescription, antibacterial and antifungal. i use it for many things (birds of prey, reptiles and small mammals) and have had good success. harmless if ingested and a good all rounder for wounds etc. They even make a F10 wash with insecticide for fly strike

Thanks for the good advice everyone. I've just put some sudocrem on them, he didn't like it but he seems reasonably happy now, just hope he doesn't eat too much of it as he's frantically grooming himself now :? I bought him a vet bed but he just chewed it, we have carpets so I was quite shocked he could get sore hocks really but he's much less active than he used to be because of arthritis, and now this..

I didn't know that new skin stung as well, ok so that's out the equation now. I'm going to look into F10, it sounds like a good thing to keep around.

Thanks for the good advice everyone. I've just put some sudocrem on them, he didn't like it but he seems reasonably happy now, just hope he doesn't eat too much of it as he's frantically grooming himself now :? I bought him a vet bed but he just chewed it, we have carpets so I was quite shocked he could get sore hocks really but he's much less active than he used to be because of arthritis, and now this..

I didn't know that new skin stung as well, ok so that's out the equation now. I'm going to look into F10, it sounds like a good thing to keep around.

Carpets are really abrasive and will make sore hocks worse unfortunately.

I dont use sudocrem and Aloe Vera Gel together, its one or the other depending on the specific Rabbit.

Sudocrem and vaseline made my rabbit's hocks redder (she has a reaction to it, so is ok for most rabbits), so under vet's instructions, i put salt water on twice daily, and it keeps them stable, and healthy pink.

i put salt water on twice daily, and it keeps them stable, and healthy pink.

I would have thought this would be the most natural way of treating sore hocks, I know with human skin using saltwater is supposed to trigger some kind of reaction which in turn helps the skin heal which is why it's commonly done after piercings.

Back