• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Facts and Reasons not to breed rabbits...

DemiS

Warren Veteran
My friend wants to breed rabbits, and I need some facts or info on why that shouldn't happen. How many rabbits are allready in shelters? How many are released into the wild? Here is what I have so far (In note form)...

About 70 baby rabbits a year, and a very unhealthy female that is likely to develop uterine cancer. The male will constantly try to mate with the female, causing both lots of stress. Females very teritorial and will attack male. She can become pregnant within 24hours of giving birth, and if this happens, the current litter will still be around and needing the mothers care when the new litter is born. Females can become pregnant twice if she mates 12 or more hours after the first conception, causing both litters to die before birth, and when this happens, the doe is extremelly likely to die. The female will become confused, and will probobly reject the new babies. If the male is bigger than the female, she may have difficulties giving birth. A rabbit can give birth to 1 - 18 babies.

* By the way, she got a companion for her rabbit, thinking it was the same sex but she has realised one is male and one female. She dosen't want to seperate them. I don't think the rabbits are purebred either.

Dad will kill babies if left with them - so she's gonna NEED to separate when babies born. If buns were both spayed & neutered now, they are paired for life.
Babies will mate with each other & mum, so you may be talking 100s of buns.

If bun's history is unknown, you've got genetic problems that could easily be passed on & made worse (heart defects/teeth probs)

Sexing babies - she couldn't tell this time.

Vet costs if mum struggles with birth. My free ad babies cost a fair bit to myself & the Rescues that helped me with them

Space issues when babies leave mum.

33000 rabbits sitting in rescues.

Neutering can prolong life (reduces aggression, territorial/hormonal behaviour & therefore stress, buns often cleaner), eliminates cancer risk in females, reduces risk in males.

It's illegal to release into the wild.

Her female is most likely pregnant.

Back