• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grrrrrrrr, another P@H rant!!

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
:censored::censored::censored:

I've just been in our local P@H for bedding for my bun, and they've got sooooooo many animals in at the moment. I didn't count the piggies (I couldn't they're too small and have too many places to hide)!! But there were 21 rabbits in their two pens!! And some of them were really tiny, I don't know anything about how to tell how old a bunny is, but even if they're old enough to be sold they are two small to be in their with some of those bigguns!!

I saw one precious wee thing scrabble and scrabble to try and get up the slope to the hutch, but as it's varnished wood, he just couldn't do it. :censored: There was one with a really mucky bum. :censored: and there was an awful lot of humping going on :? :shock:

And to top it all off, there was a Rex in the adoption bit with a really runny eye :( :censored:

It was awful, I think I'm going to have to stop going in there, it upsets me too much, poor poor buns!! And the only people I ever see looking at the buns are screaming kids who want the fluffiest ones, or chavvy dimwits going "Oooh, innit cyoot!"

Hmm, know what you mean. I didn't think my local one was too bad but was in there a couple of days ago and saw a couple looking at rabbits. The woman was very heavily pregnant, and they picked out a little white bunny to buy, which from what they were saying was obviously on a whim. The sales woman showed them a cage then disappeared off to get some hay. At this point I told them the cage was far too small for a rabbit. She gave me a 'whatever' look so I told her it did not meet minimum rspca standards for a rabbit and was not suitable. Clearly, they bought it anyway. My heart was pounding after this exchange and I felt a bit sick as it's the first time I've been brave enough to say anything. Couldn't help myself though, I couldn't believe they were about to have a baby and thought it was a good idea to buy a rabbit that in a couple of weeks when the baby is born they will not have the time or inclination for, and likely, the money. It's so frustrating! I know loads of you have a lot more experience of this trying to educate people and I wasn't funny with them but they clearly did not give a toss as the rabbit was cute - does anyone ever listen?

Yes, that's exactly it, I've never been a confrontational person, but when it comes to animal welfare, particularly buns, I can't help myself. It's just so infuriating!! AAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!

I feel a lot of pent up anger today, may have to go and listen to some Prodigy or something

Ours which is awful is advertising on the radio 'Come and see the animals have a picnic' ???????? seemingly they have done the place up.

Just another way of getting parents to take their kids in so they sell a few more Rabbits and Guinea pigs with eye infections, dirty bottoms and dental problems and the rest :cry:

I'm not confrontational either, I just couldn't keep quiet as I'd have felt really guilty. I just feel that this poor bunny will be stuck in the tiny cage, or given away, or dumped somewhere :cry:

Its a shame there is no consistency with P@H. My local one is really good, they dont stock animals over Easter or Half Term holidays, im assuming to prevent impulse buying.

They will probably stock them over summer though :?

It sounds horrendous :(

Surely though, the very best thing to do is not to go into P@H at all? Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but personally i don't think spending money in pet shops that sell animals is acceptable, especially if the animals are kept in bad conditions. Otherwise you're supporting them and helping them to continue!

Its a shame there is no consistency with P@H. My local one is really good, they dont stock animals over Easter or Half Term holidays, im assuming to prevent impulse buying.

Ours didn't either, but they seem to be making up for it by having A ZILLION animals in now!!! :censored: Plus when you buy a rabbit you get a free starter kit with everything you need (apart from the hutch) - it just makes it too easy to do it on a whim :( If they saw the bunny, then had to find out all the stuff they needed (and I mean all the stuff!!) and had to pay full price for it, it might make them think twice. Plus what chance do rescues stand, when they charge more for the rabbit and don't give any free stuff? Ooooh, I'm just getting angrier now, breeeeeeeeeeeeeethe

Surely though, the very best thing to do is not to go into P@H at all? Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but personally i don't think spending money in pet shops that sell animals is acceptable, especially if the animals are kept in bad conditions. Otherwise you're supporting them and helping them to continue!

It doesn't sound harsh at all, I agree with you in principle, but I'm new to the area and have no idea where else to get the stuff I need. :?

I actually think that P@H arent that bad. What bothers me is all the small independant pets shops. Now they really make me angry.

How come anyone is allowed to sell animals at all?! It's ridiculous when there r so many in rescues. The government should stop whinging about expenses and make a law that actually means something to people

We go in to 'spy' on the animals mainly and make sure they are ok.

I don't tend to use P@H but if I have been stuck for something and HAD to go there, the animals don't look tooooo bad tbh. There is a big garden centre not far from me and the last time we visited I couldn't believe the state of the rabbits and guinea's. If I could I would have bought them all and tried to give them chance of a better life - it really upset me.

Hugs
B x

We go in to 'spy' on the animals mainly and make sure they are ok.

so do I,much to my childrens horror as I will confront any assistant if they have no hay, water etc.I go to anywhere that sells animals just to "spy". I have reported a local pet shop to the RSPCA owing to overcrowding of cage ,only 1 bottle of water and piggies being in direct sun with no shade available,it might have been a coincidence but they closed down a few weeks later.

i gotta laugh.. i love pets at home yet i shop there less than people on this forum who hate it :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

made me chuckle anyhows :p

My pets at home isnt too bad, not had any major problems with them other than them housing a Lionhead on woodshavings which needed a good brushing :?

I buy my excel from there and the occasional toy and my woodpellet cat litter so i am there quite often and keep an eye on their animals :D

I just dont agree with shops selling pets, but we cant stop that so as long as they are looked after and in good health i dont bother with them :)

But ive been to 2 other pets at home a little further away and i will not set foot through there doors, it was a disgrace :evil:

Back