• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need some bonding advice (and some sleep!)

clarem

Warren Scout
On Monday I began to bond a trio and a single bun.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=182425&page=2

(see my original post)

All was going well until Tuesday night when my daughter came to wake me at 1.30am to say they were fighting. I sorted them out and spent the night on the sofa getting up several times to sort out buns. It did just seem to be chasing and fur pulling but I didn't want anyone to get hurt :cry:

They were OK yesterday apart from a couple of fur pulling incidents but when I went to go to bed it all kicked off again :evil: The problem seems to be Jessie who just runs at the other buns. She particularly targets Marley who is one of the trio which doesn't surprise me as these two have had a couple of falling out incidents before. Any time another bun goes to move she just runs at them and starts to pull fur, even poor Oscar the partner she came to me with ;) Marley now has several bites on her ear and I have been up and down all night.
4buns014.jpg

Here she is keeping them all in their place!

So now I am at a loss with what to do. I don't want any more injuries and as I already have two sheds could easily split them back up, but on the other hand don't want to give up if it could work. And if I split them up, who do I take out :? Any advice would be gratefully received :)

how long have you been trying to bond them clare? Sorry i have just re-read it and you've said Monday! Doh!

So this is day 4? or did you start late on Monday?

Where are they in your house? Have you tried them outside? Have they shown any inclination to groom each other?

Oh yes and what have you done to ''split them up'' when they fight?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, no bonding experience, but hope someone will be able to advise you soon.

Looks like lots of fur - if only bunnies could just become friends easily :roll:

Good luck hun :wave:

They are in a bonding pen in the dining room, we started around lunch time Monday. Initially there was some grooming and all looked to be going OK. When they do fight I have been using a tennis racket to keep them apart :oops: I learnt the hard way not to stick your arm in :D I havn't tried outside as they all have free run of the garden (not together obviously) so I didn't think this would be neutral enough. Jessie seems to have turned into a bit of psycho rabbit, especially at night when I want to go to bed :evil:

hmmm ok, when they fight is it a proper teeth claw and blood fight? or a foot scrapping lady handbags at dawn fight?

It seems to be a lot of fur pulling but Marley does have a bite on her ear which has left a hole. The do roll around together as well, if you know what I mean :?

Ok, i would say leave them too it. Don't split up any fights UNLESS you see blood. I think that the initial signs were good and they have tried to figure out who is the boss and you splitting up fights is putting that decision back. Give them 24 hours without any interference at all and see how they go. BUT if you see blood interfere.

Totally agree with you about not putting them outside. I would cut down the size of your bonding pen a little, another thought might be is to put a small amount of mashed banana or puree apple on their heads to try and encourage them to groom each other.

For now continue as you are doing, pull one away from the other if they are latched on to each other and hold away from the others using your tennis racquet for the count of 10 then release. I have a broom for this purpose ;)

Thanks for the advice I will keep going :) What is so annoying is that they're relatively quiet during the day but once midnight approaches, the witching hour seems to kick in :cry:

It has been over 24 hrs and we havn't intervened with any chasing etc. My son slept downstairs last night and said they were chasing and fur pulling and rolling around an awful lot and he saw every hour on the clock :( I have made the pen smaller and we have had one chasing episode today involving all 4 buns. I am really worried that when they are rolling around they are kicking out at each other and could catch each other with claws. I am worried I will end up with a serious injury but also as we are now on day 5, how long can we go on like this before the stress gets too much for them??

Back